Seawalls, Docks

Originally Posted By: cradan
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Anyone performing freshwater seawall and dock inspections? Just curious…I’ve had a couple realtor contacts ask me if we could inspect such things. Apparently, they represent clients buying and selling some relatively high-value properties on local lakes, rivers and other waterways. What’s typically involved in such inspections?

Regards,

--
Chris
http://www.inspect4me.com
Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: jedwards

Chris,

I grew up on a lake and I've built 'em both, but haven't inspected either as part of a HI. I guess you'd approach a dock the same as a deck regarding railings, spindles and so on, and pay extra close attention to things like rigidity, whether posts and pilings are plumb, signs of rot, nail popups, etc. For a seawall, maybe overall structural integrity, signs of settling or erosion that might lead to collapse, etc. Might have to go so far as to research historical high-water marks to determine if the seawall is adequate. But don't take my word for any of this, I'm just thinking out loud.

Sounds like this could be a specialty service leading to some lucrative work for you. If it was me, I believe I'd find a contractor specializing in marine construction, and pay him for a few hours of brain picking time. Probably need to add more CYA disclaimers in your agreement, too, especially involving parts of the structures that are underwater (unless you wanna invest in some scuba gear... ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) ).

Just some thoughts.

--
John Edwards
Assurance South, LLC home page
Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Also make sure you inspect them at low tide, and look for deterioration around the splash/water line and signs of marine borers that can totally destroy wood. Connections and braces are very important, and for bulkheads there are usually steel tie back rods and buried anchors that can’t be readily inspected, so be careful there.

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Guest

Much appreciated, guys. I figured the obvious safety items would have to be described, viewed and their condition noted (John’s post). Backfill settling, bowing, etc. would also be some obvious inspection items, not dissimilar to items observed for any earth retaining wall.

As it turns out, I am a diver (with my own gear), but I suspect that's far and away beyond the sort of thing we'd want to get into as H.I.'s, and far more into the commercial inspection and civil/marine engineering world. (What would I do, carry my handy-dandy awl underwater and start poking and jabbing the submarine piers, etc.????)

Again, thanks for the advice. I'll start checking with some of the local marine contractors, as suggested, for brain-picking advice as well.

Regards,

Originally Posted By: jedwards

Chris,

I knew it. Right after I hit the post button, I thought, "Chris is probably a diver..." ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif)

Regarding "beyond the scope of HI"... for that matter, so is radon, lead, WDI, mold, etc., but lots of HI's do (not me, I contract all that at this point).

So, anyway... please continue to post on this if you do pursue it. Could be an interesting niche market. I'd like to hear more.

And don't forget your moisture meter...

--
John Edwards
Assurance South, LLC home page
Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: gsutterfield

Chris

Before inspecting any dock you would need to be fully aware of the requirements for a particular body of water . Some lakes in Mo. have ever changing rules as to the flotation devices etc. Most lakes will not allow the use of white foam but if in place and not severely deteriorated is grand fathered in but should it need replacing then the new requirements come into effect .

Also be advised,some lakes have a different requirement as to the distance a dock can extend out into the channel or cove .

Best to check with the Corp. of Engineers for the body of water dock is on . They can also inform you as to the requirements for seawalls .

Originally Posted By: cradan

, your brother-in-law is an engineer in one of the district or regional offices, DO NOT GO THERE!!! I repeat, DO NOT GO THERE!!!

Will keep researching and post anything I learn on the thread. Thanks again for the advice/suggestions!

Regards,

--
Chris
http://www.inspect4me.com
Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Chris,

I dont think you would be crossing the line if you are just doing a visual inspection and report of observed conditions ... Observe & Report ...

Actually, I am a PE who does evaluations and designs for marine structures sometimes, and for larger commercial projects we will work with certified divers on the inspection part of that. There are companies that offer those inspection service to engineers, and sometimes good inspectors are in short supply.

For residential marine structures, I think you could offer those additional inspection services in your area. Just be careful about not crossing the evaluation line, and bail to an engineer to provide recommendations for any deterioration or unusual conditions observed.

And you would have to specifically exclude any permitting or regulatory compliance issues. That is a can of worms ya just don't want to open up ... lol. Just like an HI will exclude CO and code compliance issues for a house ...

And in addition to hooking up with a few local marine contractors, also hook up with a local engineer too. They will probably be more than happy to send you some business cards and go over some local issues, as well as when they think an engineer needs to be called in for further evaluation ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Guest

Excellent advice, (as always), Robert. You can bank on the fact that we’ll heed it!

![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

Regards,