seen this before? (CMU and brick) comments please

Originally Posted By: ddivito
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I saw this today. I saw no reason for it. The brick on the exterior had full bricks running horizontally. I thought the brick on the basement wall was some sort of tie for the exterior, but saw no sign of this once outside.

![](upload://ywJCeyMb7t9a6bkZPBFkyt0rVrg.jpeg)

Huh?

Originally Posted By: mlong

I’ve never seen this before, but my best guess would be is that the mason was trying to use up excess bricks at the job site.

From the way your picture looks, is the black to the right side, waterproofing sealant on another wall? It appears that the wall where the brick is located, is an offset like something that would be under a porch. Is that correct?

If it is correct, the mason may have thought that it wouldn't be any big deal to do this since it wasn't part of the main foundation. I dont't know that it would be a problem, anyway, even if it is a part of the main foundation. I've worked on some old historic structures that had nothing but brick for a foundation wall, laying on the ground, that extended up three stories and have stood up for 200 years.

(of course, it's possible that the mason that did your wall just had a little too much to smoke that morning and got overly creative)

Mark Long
Peace of Mind Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: ddivito

Yes, the black material is waterproofing membrane. This construction style was done throughout the entire foundation