Seperate range top and wall oven

One 240 wire going to cabinet under range top to a junction box. Two wires coming out of junction box; one each to the electric range top, and the other going to wall oven. I called it out to be separate.

Electricians response:
“The circuit for the oven and stove is code compliant. NEC table 220.19 note #4 says: the branch-circuit load for a counter-mounted unit and not more than two wall mounted ovens, all supplied from a single branch circuit and located in the same room, shall be computed by adding the nameplate rating of the individual appliances and treating this total as equivalent to one range”.

Opinions?

Why did you call it out, Gary? Was there any 120 volts usage?

If it was followed properly, the NEC table quote appears to work for that situation.

I’ll be interested in the other responses, too.

Taps are permitted for a wall mounted oven and range top. However the electrician probably should have quoted 210.19(A)(3)Exception #1 as the applicable section.

Here is the NECH commentary on how that section is applied:

I believe the circuit was serviced by a single 30 amp 240 breaker. Both appliances were 240, but could not find the labels. Called it out to verify by electrician, but not comfortable with it as it is for the client.

The exception is to allow a branch circuit tap for the example you described. As long as the taps conductors are rated for at least 20 A and sufficient to carry load which ever is greater. It has nothing to do with being 120v or 240v.

Lets use an example- if the branch circuit to the junction box was sized for 50A ; branches off to two different appliances (oven and cooktop). Assuming for this example 12 AWG was supplied to cooktop and 10 AWG was supplied to oven…provided the taps (conductors from the junction to the appliances) are at least 20 A rated (which they are) and assuming the load for the appliances are also covered by the selected conductor size for the taps.

Now, could I place 30 amp OCPD on the branch circuit supplying the junction box. Yes, keeping in mind that it will probably not handle the load…lets not forget to use this exception the branch circuit rating needs to be at least 50A…if the circuit conductors are rated to handle 50A…placing a 30A OCPD on it (doubt the lugs will handle it) would cause no potential harm but would probably cause nuisance tripping under combined usage.

Keeping in mind the branch circuit does have to have a ampacity capacity of 50A for this application.

Note 4 referenced by the electrician came from Table 220.55 where it says we can treat a cooktop and no more than two wall ovens as one range.

I see nothing wrong with the installation.

This is how its done in Ontario.