Taps off a branch circuit.....

Originally Posted By: jremas
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Can I connect a 20amp tap conductor to a range top from a oven or cooking unit that is connected to a 50amp branch circuit?

tricky......

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: roconnor

A dedicated circuit for an oven doesn’t appear to be required, and I dont see an issue as long as the equipment ratings match the feeder capacity. How are ya reading its a tricky issue?

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Jeff…

Can I assume that you would be using 6AWG(cu) conductors for that tap?

Manufacturers recommendations for circuit size for the cooktop would come first. After that I guess the total possible draw of both units comes into play. If the oven required a 50amp circuit in the first place I suspect that an additional range top would be "overcooking".

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

jremas wrote:
Can I connect a 20amp tap conductor to a range top from a oven or cooking unit that is connected to a 50amp branch circuit?

tricky......

Yes, and I agree it is tricky.

20 amp conductor connected to 50 amp circuit.

Good question, one that touches on something you may run into while inspecting.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Bob Badger, you win the prize. A #12 wire may be tapped off of a 50amp circuit (#6 as an example) in this instance IF it meets 4 very specific criteria…

Yes, you WILL see this occasionally and YES, you will look like an idiot if you say it is wrong and it DOES meet code IF the 4 criteria are in place.

What are they?????

I have decided to start posing questions to which the official answers are known for the purposes of education for all of us, including me. I feel this will be better than having 3 different (opinions) answers to a question. I will be taking these questions directly from official NEC literature.

Is this fun or what? !!!

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Quote:
Is this fun or what? !!!

Yes for me, but I have to admit I am kind of a code nerd. ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

I know the section you are talking about and will not give it away till others answer.

I would argue a 14 AWG would meet the requirements of the article. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

With my head hung in shame for my previous answer?let me try again.

Tap conductors must be at least 12AWG for a 50amp circuit (and not less than needed by the cooktop).
They should be no longer than necessary to serve the cooktop.
The oven and cooktop must be in the same room.
A disconnecting means is required unless the circuit breaker can be locked off.

The nameplate ratings of both are added together to determine demand load (table 220.19?still a fuzzy area for me)

Not sure if those are THE criteria you speak of.

Jeff?keep them coming?obviously I still need the education. ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif)

--
Richard Moore
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

rmoore wrote:
With my head hung in shame for my previous answer?let me try again.

No shame in trying to expand your knowledge. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Quote:
Tap conductors must be at least 12AWG for a 50amp circuit

You may want to look into that a little more.

The requirement does not ask for a 12 AWG.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Bob…

This is what I'm reading...(slightly condensed)

"Tap conductors supplying ranges, ovens and cooktops from a 50-amp circuit shall have an ampacity of not less than 20 and shall be sufficient for the load served"

Doesn't that infer 12AWG at least?

Ahhhh... ![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif)...after a moments thought....14AWG can handle 20 amps can't it? I forgot about the asterisks. So it would be OK in this situation?

--
Richard Moore
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: dhartke

Define “tap conductor” please.

David while I am comfortable with my understanding of taps defining one is not so easy.

In the most basic sense it is when you protect a conductor from overload after the run of conductor instead of before the conductor starts.

In this case leave the panel with 6 AWG copper from a 50 amp breaker, this is normal.

Now we get to the kitchen that has a wall mount oven and a counter mounted cook top.

The oven needs lets say 24 amps and the cook top 15 amps.

Run the 6 AWG copper into a suitable junction box and splice on a set of 10 AWGs to run the oven and a set of 14 AWGs to run the cook top.

These 10 and 14 AWGs are taps of the original circuit and can not be overloaded as each supplies a fixed load.

If a short or ground fault occurs the 10 or 14 AWGs are still sufficient to trip out the 50 amp breaker due to their short length and the fact the breaker will trip before the conductors will get hot enough to damage the insulation.

In a way the service conductors from the power company are transformer taps but we do not call them that.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: dhartke

Bob,

Your explanation makes perfect sense. Thank you.

Dave

Richard Moore… You are very close with the 4 requirements. I will give you a hint…the answers are part of an exception.

not much of a hint huh?

Oh, and Bob B...... 20 amp minimum

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

That would be 210.19(A)(3) [along with 210.23©, 220.4©, 220.19, and 422]. But your post said 20A tap on 50A circuit … where is the tricky part?

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

OKAY OConnor, good job this time… may be a little harder in the next round! I’ll stump you yet!

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Jeff…

Obviously the answer to your first question is yes.

As to the four criteria, I'm not sure what I'm missing from the 210.19(A)(3) exceptions other than the neutral size. So..I'm stumped.

As this is was posed for the sake of education would you give us the four criteria in English? Robert Oconnor's answer may be correct but the code numbers alone aren't going to help much in the field.

--
Richard Moore
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Well directly in the exception I come up with 3

Exception No. 1: Tap conductors supplying electric ranges, wall-mounted electric ovens, and counter-mounted electric cooking units from a 50-ampere branch circuit

1)shall have an ampacity of not less than 20 and

2)shall be sufficient for the load to be served.

3)The taps shall not be longer than necessary for servicing the appliance.

The above is right from the NEC itself.

Now if we go to the NEC handbook they show four items.

It is worth noting that it is not an enforceable document, but still an excellent resource.

(1)The taps are not longer than necessary to service or permit access to the junction box.

(2)The taps to each unit are properly spliced.

(3)The junction box is adjacent to each unit.

(4)The taps are of sufficient size for the load to be served.

Number 2 is not a direct part of 210.19(A)(3) but of coarse applies to any splice. 110.14

RC

Quote:
where is the tricky part?

I think most people would be concerned with conductors smaller than 8 AWG protected by a 50 amp breaker.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Mr. Badger, you are most thorough!

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Bob Badger wrote:
I think most people would be concerned with conductors smaller than 8 AWG protected by a 50 amp breaker.

Okay, I see where that could go. So even though it's a short 20A minimum tap conductor run that should be able to trip the 50A breaker, it might be a concern even though it's allowed by the NEC? Do some electrical professionals question that exception and allowing that?

It's curious that I don't see the same exception in the IRC now that I looked, but that doesn't mean it's not allowed ... it just means ya have to look at the more detailed provisions of the NEC to do that [and pretty much "prove" it's okay] ... hmmmmm.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

Quote:

Yep...that was pretty much my initial "knee-jerk" reaction to Jeff's original question. I now know better, including the reasoning. I would like to thank all concerned for this excellent thread.

--
Richard Moore
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com