Septic inspection camera

Hello. What does everyone use as a camera for septic inspections? Any help will be appreciated thanks.

Make sure it is waterproof and put a string on it. LOL Couldn’t resist. :rofl:

1 Like

Welcome to our forum, Sean!..Enjoy! :smile:

Someone will be along to help with your camera question. I never did that.

1 Like

You don’t need a special camera to do septic inspections, Larry.

2 Likes

Thanks I have a camera and a string :rofl:

3 Likes

Did I say you did? I’ve just never done that.

No, you did not, but since you said you never did that, I figured I’d tell you and answer the OP’s question at the same time.

1 Like

Just dip your finger in the tank and take a picture of your finger. Seriously what are you going to photograph?

1 Like

this is one area the lick test does not apply…

5 Likes

I wouldn’t think there would be much to photograph without it being pumped first, eh?

1 Like

I agree not much to see.

2 Likes

Shit :flushed:

4 Likes

On the contrary, here in Alaska septic systems are buried 4ft + so digging the cover up is normally never the case. A sewer scope camera through the clean out before the septic tank is a really good way to inspect the tank through the inlet and then from the first leach field tube backwards to reach the outlet of the tank. As well as scoping the leach field with the sewer camera.
I’ll be getting into this stuff next summer. :metal:t2::metal:t2:

1 Like

Sewer lateral cameras. Different inspection when a tank is not accessible from the surface.

1 Like

I have an Apprentice assistant that I give a waterproof camera to. Then I turn the Apprentice upside down and dunk them in the tank to take pictures. The pictures really rend to be crappy though.

Yes the Apprentice rides in a separate vehicle and cleans the camera before giving it back.

:rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Hey Sean,

All joking aside, your terminology may be off.
Sewer cameras are for inspection of the line (lateral) from the house to the public (sewer) or private (septic) connection.

These cameras would be totally useless to inspect the actual septic tank.

A septic inspection should only be performed at the time of pumping. And in my experience does not even include photos let alone video.

The septic inspector wants to first see the tank full to verify it does not leak into the ground. Then the tank is pumped and the condition of the tank is checked visually (flashlight) and a hand written paper report is written describing their findings with rough locations, material descriptions, any researched documentation (permits and county records), estimated tank sizing etc.

If your question is about which sewer camera to purchase, my answer to you is Ridgid SeeSnake 200ft Self-Leveling Reel with CS6x handheld recorder and the Navitrack Scout Locator.

Good luck.

5 Likes