Septic Outlet Baffle

I did an inspection on a septic tank that is from 1983. It had a cement outlet baffle that was intact. I attempted to put my scope in to go towards d-box/ leach field and and it would not go. I felt in the area and it appears there is a rectangular slot in the cement and probably a junction area below this? Does this seem correct to anyone? The fluid levels were appropriate in the tank and was draining appropriately. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Welcome to our forum, Rick!..enjoy participating. :smiley:

This is a typical diagram of septic to drain field. As you can see, it would hard to get from tank to field.

3 Likes

Too many configurations for me to speculate. Might want to start digging or state limitation.

1 Like

I find if You just go ahead and jump right in the tank You can often get a better angle on it !!!

5 Likes

Jim sharing his tricks of the trade, how nice of you! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Hey…I’m a giver, what can I say…

3 Likes

Thanks for the insight. I’ll make sure to keep my swim trunks and snorkel in my truck!

5 Likes

Rick -
It was most likely a turn of some sort. However, it should have been PVC and easy for a sewer cam to negotiate.
One thing to remember is that an effluent disposal area/drainfield can be anywhere. Although normally close to the septic tank, sometimes they’re installed with a 90 elbow right after the baffle and can be back along side the line leaving the house to the septic tank.
It depends on site conditions and lot size.

2 Likes

Thank you Scott This was right inside the cement baffle there was no pipe for me to put the camera in. So I’m assuming that the pipe may be crushed. I will recommend further evaluation.

Good plan.
Normally when looking straight down at the baffle, the edge of the PVC pipe is visible.
This baffle looks to be in pretty good condition.
Often cement baffles are in bad shape or have fallen off.

How was the flow out?

If you look closely inside the outlet it appears that you can see some of the PVC piping in that pic. Might be broken or detached. Sometimes things get frozen in the lines this time of year too.
Standard sewer cameras are not great for inspecting the tanks and baffles, just the pipe scoping. I use a Ferret camera for the tanks and baffles. You get better pics and it only costs about $175. Consider getting one.

Here’s an example from the Ferret

1 Like

Out flow was good running water into the tank. I was thinking there may be a disconnected but close enough that the effluent was able to still flow. I appreciate the input.

1 Like

Good points. Thank you. I do have a ferret. I will start using it for this.

1 Like