serial/age of Westinghouse furnace, & newer cheat sheet

I’m inspecting my way through some apartments built in the 1970’s, and the furnaces are all Westinghouse. Serial numbers are all in this series: Q27291, Q27292, etc. From their appearance I would say the furnaces are 1970’s also, but I’d like to be more specific. How can I find out their ages?

The cheat sheet I’m using for HVAC is one I obtained on this message board a while back. It doesn’t include Westinghouse, and every once in a while I come across another manufacturer that’s not included. Any leads on finding a list of serial number/age codes that is pretty complete?

Westinghouse was only in the business from 1974 to 1981. All indications are that there are some letters or numbers missing from your serial numbers.

The Westinghouse name was bought by Nordyne for the use on their HVAC equipment only. Gibson, Tappan, Philco, Maytag, Kelvinator, Grandaire, and Frigidaire names were also purchased by Nordyne. The serial numbers read the same on all brands. I use to sell some of these brands when I had my HVAC company. For the price, they are great units. Simple to work on.

In 1981, Westinghouse was sold to Borg-Warner which is York. Sale rights included names Moncrief, Luxaire, Fraser-Johnston all now used by York International.

I can’t even come up with a manufacturing date for that unit. If I were to guess it would be 1972.

Did it look original?

I was selling Westinghouse brand furnaces between 2002-2003. I even went to the Nordyne plant, where I saw them built. David, where did you get the misinformation?

Here is the website http://www.westinghousehvac.com/

I don’t care where you worked, you were misinformed…

Go here…and scroll down to Westinghouse. This is just two of the few sites that say the same thing.

http://www.geocities.com/~jsphilly/whoswho.html

http://highperformancehvac.com/hvac_history.html

Calm down, friend.
I think we are both right. Nordyne probably bought the name later on. I know for a fact that they own it now. When I owned my own HVAC company, I handled all my vendors myself. The Westinghouse units are still being built in Boonville, Missouri. I drive by the planet several times a year. If you every get to Missouri, I can arrange a tour through my Tappan vendor. They are made in the same plant. There is no longer a local distributor for Westinghouse. Here is another site proving Westinghouse is now being made by Nordyne http://www.nordyne.com/eNoraHome.aspx .

I’m calm and always will be…I’m simply stating facts (no guessing here) and you’re asking me where I got my misinformation. There is no misinformation.

The Westinghouse name was dropped in 1978 with end of Westinghouse HVAC products… In 1998, Nordyne started marketing under White-Westinghouse brands.

When a firm adds a name (White) in front of an original (Westinghouse), it can look deceiving.

The units I sold did not go by White Westinghouse just Westinghouse. I still have a 10 seer A/C unit in storage for a rental property I am going to one day renovate. After I get done doing a complete renovating of a 1890’s farmhouse for my girlfriend. I think it would be cheaper just to get another girlfriend.
Westinghouse the corporation was split up into two companies in the late 70’s. One sold the appliances and the other sold transformers. Later a Swedish company named ABB bought the transformer division. I heard they then bought radio and television stations. My dad retired and draws a pension from Westinghouse in Jefferson City, Missouri that is how I know.

So which one of you guys is **right **and not misinforming the public in this matter???

I think we are both right. Westinghouse owned their own brand, then it was sold to York, now Nordyne owns it. Do you agree Dave?

**WESTINGHOUSE: **In 1981, sold to Borg-
Warner York}. Sale rights included names
Moncrief, Luxaire, Fraser-Johnston all now used by
York International.

Nordyne does not own the original firm. Nordyne simply uses the name “Westinghouse” today. It has nothing to do with the original Westinghouse manufacturer. They simply grabbed the name by registering and licensing the name “Westinghouse”, as no other firm was using this particular name at the time.

Nordyne was never involved in purchasing the original Wesinghouse firm. As I stated previously "The Westinghouse name was dropped in 1978, ending Westinghouse HVAC products.

Unit #'s 91 and 92 built in the 2nd Quarter of 1972.

That’s what I thought.

John,

Can you please tell me where you located this information?

[quote=dvalley]
In 1981, Westinghouse was sold to Borg-Warner which is York. Sale rights included names Moncrief, Luxaire, Fraser-Johnston **all now used by York International. **

[quote]

David,
I did not say in any of my posts that Westinghouse was bought out my Nordyne. But according to your above post you claimed the Westinghouse name was still being used by York. This is what started the arguement. I was simply correcting your statement. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

[quote=jbraun]

[quote=dvalley]
In 1981, Westinghouse was sold to Borg-Warner which is York. Sale rights included names Moncrief, Luxaire, Fraser-Johnston **all now used by York International. **

FRASER-JOHNSTON: Became part of Westinghouse. Name dropped in 1978 with end of Westinghouse HVAC products. Name now used by York International.

Westinghouse name is not legally being used by York. The name is owned by Westinghouse on the HVAC unit. Please show me information from York showing this. I have already pointed to two Nordyne owned sites contradicting what you are saying.

Did I get two red boxes for correcting somebody who is wrong? I will keep on posting when somebody misinforms the public. This message board is to help other inspectors, not massage each others egos.