Service amperage

Round meter base.
100 amp main breaker.
Appears to be #2 or #4 SEC Aluminum.

How would you report the service amps for this home? 60 or 100A.

I say the meter base is 60A
The SEC is 70A

I would report this as a 60 amp service.

106907 024 (Small).jpg

106907 006 (Small).jpg

106907 025 (Small).jpg

106907 007 (Small).jpg

First of all the SEC’s are copper and most likely #4. I tend to call these: “upgraded 60 amp services;) .” Most likely, because it is #4 copper, the 100amp panel will be ok, but I advise my buyer they should anticipate upgrading the service.

Are the SEC tin coated copper?

Given the age of the wire they would would have to be (my mind keeps wanting to find an exception:) )

If…

Then why…

If you are not sure of the size how can you call it anything???

If it is #2AL or #4CU then it is indeed a 100A service.

THIS is a perfect way to report it.

Would just like to add that Paul Abernathy has told us in the past that the meter base is just a guide rather than a limitation.
And the Gauge is a limitation as is the Main Breaker,taking smaller of the two as the limitation.
If the gauge is not rated for 100 amps or better I would call that a defect.
Speedy is right about needing accuracy.

Would just like to add that Paul Abernathy has told us in the past that trhe meter base is just a guide rather than a limitation.
And the Gauge is a limitation as is the Main Breaker,taking smaller of the two as the limitation.
If the gauge is not rated for 100 amps or better I would call that a defect.
Speedy is right about needing accuracy.

Without knowing more about this house I would never say 100a was too small. “Fossil” appliances could make 100a overkill.

Hi Greg…I should have clarified better as I was refering to the specific situation above ,as the Breaker is rated at 100 amps.
Though fossil appliances use more juice than newer more energy efficient models.

I think Greg meant fossil fuel burning major appliances, rather than those that run on electricity.