Service entry and Meter on neighbours wall/property

Hi Chaps!
Has anyone come across this situation? I inspected a duplex home today and the SEC and Meter was located on the neighbours side of the fence, running down their exterior wall.
This presents an access issue for the homeowner and possible responsibility/ownership issues too.
Would you call it out as a defect and recommend the Service provider or qualified electrician move the Meter and SEC to the correct property line side?

Just write it up. The fence location is probably the problem.

In a similar scenario the neighbors flue is supported by stays attached to the roof of the home I inspected. I would never have allowed that.

1 Like

Yup! Like Bob said…

1 Like

Ask the venders or venders agent for disclosure.
1: Was the building ever subdivide?
2: Is there an easement? ‘An easement is the right to cross or otherwise use another’s land for a specified purpose.’

1 Like

Thanks Robert, I will add that to my report.

1 Like

I wouldn’t necessarily assume the fence is the “property line” if you will. The owner may have just decided to erect the fence to block what they think is an eyesore. Unless you have evidence that it is actually the line.

1 Like

I would recommend the buyer contact the service provider to have a better understanding of the issue and if any corrective action is needed.

As I was trying to consider consequence, I thought of little.

1 Like