Service lateral question for the Sparky's

Hi guys. The service lateral comes up through a separate conduit. My question is, does this area need to be sealed so that water cannot enter and sit in the conduit? I understand that this is direct bury cable , but with the amount of snow and rain we get around here I can’t believe this is a good situation. Any thoughts ? Thanks, Rick

No, all underground conduits are full of water anyhow, regardless of what you do. Conductors and cables pulled in buried conduit are rated for that sort of duty.

Your pic is wrong for another reason, assuming I’m looking at what I think I’m looking at. That looks like a piece of 3" conduit coming up, with a piece of 2" just stuck down into it a bit. That’s just a plain improper way to install conduit. NEC violation, UL issues, etc.

Now… since I can’t see it with my own two eyes, and you saw it, let me ask this. Is it possible that the smaller conduit runs the whole way from “A” to “B”, and they just slid a short scrap of the larger size over it at grade height to add more “armor” against yard maintenance equipment?

“Is it possible that the smaller conduit runs the whole way from “A” to “B”, and they just slid a short scrap of the larger size over it at grade height to add more “armor” against yard maintenance equipment?”

Thanks for the response Marc. That would be my guess that it is just for “armor”, there really isn’t any way to tell is there? This is a new home so I am assuming this is an approved install. I have several more of these “warranty inspections” in the same area. Thanks for your help, I always know I can count on you guys for help.

Richard,

Just make sure those conductors are rated for a wet location and in my opinion because we CANT see what is happening I would suggest they seal it with "The Great Stuff Foam " as in the orange version that is WP…and be safe.

If you are able to view the OTHER end you may see if they show a conduit coming up that possibly matches the one we see here ( smaller one that is ) and if so…about all you can do…but since we DONT know whats down there and it does have the possible issue of water in it, freezing in the winter and possibly causing issue with ICE HEAVE…if I spelled that right and possibly causing the expansion to crack the conduit I would seal it in my opinion.

Yes all conduit is a wet location…but this could be excessive if the UNKNOWN is present…:slight_smile: ( cryptic huh )

The only way to know for sure what if the installation is proper is to dig this up. If there is great concern, I as an HI would just defer this to a local electrician, washing your hands of any other solution that may not be effective at all.
One way you can tell if this may be an issue is to see the wiring method where this PVC enters an enclosure.

Thanks Paul, always great advise! I will suggest to the homeowners that they seal this with the Water proof foam STUFF! Did another one today across the street, same situation.

Pierre , thanks. This conduit goes directly into the meter box, so I can’t get a visual. This whole area is under ground service so I assume it is direct bury cable / triplex.

Guys thanks for your advise. I love this bb man!!!:smiley: