Service plumbing from street to home

How do I tell what service plumbing is coming from the street to the structure? It is almost always buried and not visible. Thank you in advance

You can identify the type of pipe by whatever comes through the foundation and connects to the supply system. Otherwise, it is hidden and disclaim it.

Thank you Dennis!!

Thank you and have a great day.
Gordon Beck, CPI
(386)237-2871
gordon@abchomeinspect.com

If it’s a slab on grade then I’d be checking at the main shut off, correct?

Gordon Beck, CPI
(386)237-2871

Dennis got it…:smiley:

Yes you would------------.

The street meter is almost always covered with soil and lines are not visible that’s why I was asking. Figured there had to be a better way.

Gordon Beck, CPI
(386)237-2871

It really will (mostly) depend on the foundation styles. Where I am it is 95% slab on grade or basement. And if the basement is finished it will be like most of the slab on grade homes, completely hidden. And so most of the time I say “Not Known” or “Not Visible”. For the few that are on crawlspaces, I will normally be able to see the actual Supply Pipe.

I have been involved with construction in my area for over three decades and I could make a guess at what it is and probably have an accuracy rating of about 90% just by knowing the the year built, but if I can’t see it, “I know nothing, I see nothing, I say nothing”…(or actually “not visible”).
It really is the same for distribution lines here; mostly, all I can see are the copper stub-outs. (And I don’t consider the Stub-outs as the distribution lines. I will make an effort if built in the 1980ish-1995 PB time period to put in some extra effort to try and identify by using a borescope camera behind an Escutcheon Ring or somewhere else if possible. And if I do see PB (or other) I will state the location observed and include the picture. (CYA)

In todays inspection the meter & connection was visible and can see the PVC connection (first time in my 200 inspections) photo attached. Usually only the top of meter is visible. I felt foolish by reporting unknown due to no visibility but Larry your explanation makes me feel better.

1 Like

I write it up as the material that can be seen, and then unknown (always). I have dug up lines in the past and especially on older homes there may be multiple types of plumbing materials. What can be seen in a crawlspace may have something different as soon as it is past the foundation.

1 Like