Service size

Just inspected this house - built in 1961 for naval base housing. In 1999, it was refurbished with a new roof, replumbed and re-wired.

The service panel has a 125 amp “Service Disconnect”, and directly below is a breaker with hand-written “MAIN” which is labeled as 100 amp. So, this would be 100-amp service, right? Buyers had a copy of a previous (2005) inspection which lists it as 125 amp service.

Also, circuit going to laundry has a weird configuration. Is on a 20-amp circuit from panel, but also has a fuse at the end…

I would say 125 amp service, Im assuming the 100 a breaker is to a sub panel. The fuse at the end tells me that that part wasnt re-wired. I dont see it as a problem, but it is another thing to break, that requires a trip to the hardware store to buy on over sized fuse.

Hi Andrew,

Iwould report this as a 125amp service as that is the total available, the fact that there is a 100amp protecting the secondary panel is not relevent.

BTW that is a very common set up for manufactured or modular homes

Regards

Gerry

Actually, no, the 100 amp breaker cuts the house power, as does the 125 amp breaker, so there are 2 “main disconnects”. Either one, or both, will cut the power.
Also, the laundry circuit is re-wired. I can see the new romex running through the attic to the counduit. The breaker cuts the power, and unscrewing the fuse does, too. Most curious…

Looks to me like a 125 amp service. The 100 amp breaker cuts the power to the lighting and outlets and the 60 amp breaker cuts power to the furnace. does the 100amp breaker cut power to the 60 amp breaker?

Actually, no ;). There are never two “main disconnects.” There is (in this case) a single disconnect, and other times there may be a “group” of disconnects.

The 125 amp breaker is your single disconnect. It cuts the power to the bus that supplies the “house” breaker and the 60A breaker next to it.

You’re right, of course. I forgot that the 100amp breaker did not cut the power to the A/C circuit. never mind! And thanks.