sewage line backed up

Originally Posted By: Jerome L. Harris
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I recently inspected a HUD home that had been vacant for some time. performed an

inspection one week before owner took possesion of home, 3 weeks have past and entire system has backed up. am i responsible.Roto Rooter could not repair

said they would have to dig up concrete

to fix the problem.Can i be held responsible for this?:frowning:

Originally Posted By: jmyers

There are several ways you could handle this. Probably the best way for you to save face in the eyes of the buyer and agent would be to offer to reimburse them for part of the repair costs. If there were circumstances that were beyond your control (such as no water in the house, which is common in HUD repo’s) you could refuse to reimburse any money. Just keep in mind, if you deal with this agent in the future they most likely will not remember the many good things you did but they will remember the bad!! They have a tendency to pass the one bad thing you did along to others whether you were right or wrong.

Joe Myers

A & N Inspections, Inc.

http://anii.biz

Originally Posted By: rmeyers

You indicated that Roto Rooter could not repair because they would have to dig up concrete. I assume they located the area of the blockage.

What was the location in relation to the lowest fixture in the house? Would the amount of water run during a typical inspection have been sufficient to back up and present water inside the residence. (4" ID pipe will hold .65 gallons of water per foot of pipe) I would also assume partial flow at the time of inspection since the house was occupied, as I understand it, 1-2 weeks before the problem presented itself!

If the water was not on and the backup did not appear inside then I would explain to those concerned that we don't typically inspect underground utilities. We cannot inspect what we cannot see! (Unless you offer a sewer video camera service as part of your inspection - then you can see it.)

Be careful what you offer in good will! Make as strong a case as possible in your defense so it is clearly a GOOD WILL gesture on your part and appreciated as such! Too often in this type of situation good will is interpreted as an admission of guilt and may lead to further confrontation and expense!

Real Estate Agents? That's a topic for another day!

--
Russ Meyers

Originally Posted By: gbell

I would have to agree with Russ, once the deed is done and you offer a refund the parties involved will think you did something wrong.

I try to tactfully explain the circumstances and what my opinion is. I ask the client to respond to my suggestions. I have found that this works better than offering a refund from the start. In most cases when the client considers your side they look on it in a different manner.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!!!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I agree with Igor. The inspection agreement must have a section dealing with problem resolution.

As to the sewage back-up, this is really interesting. For instance, if there were a septic tank and you weren't asked to inspect it, would you be responsible for a back-up? How about if there were also a well present, and the septic had contaminated the well. Would you be responsible for that, if you didn't perform a water quality test that included fecal coliform?

If you ran the sinks, filled the tubs, ran the showers, and flushed the toulets, and saw nothing flosating in the basement, I can't see how you are responsible.

As to the sewer line, my Agreement contains the following verbiage:

"Systems, items, and conditions excluded from the scope of the Inspection include, but are not limited to (unless specifically identified in Paragraph 1): underground utilities, playground equipment, fuel tanks, underground items, wells / springs, cosmetic items, drain fields, cesspools, molds and fungi, security systems, septic systems, personal property, sprinkler systems, pools, elevators, central vacuum, defects unobserved..." (continues)

It also contains this: " The Inspector will perform a limited visual inspection and prepare a written report of the apparent condition of the readily accessible installed systems and components of the property existing at the time of the inspection. Latent and concealed defects and deficiencies are excluded from the inspection. The Inspection and report is not a compliance inspection or certification for past or present governmental codes or regulations of any kind. The inspection and report is an opinion of the condition of the listed items at the time on the inspection, and does not warrant any future useful life."

I think that sums it up. Of course, I can still be sued. But, just maybe these disclaimers will help save my butt...

And, finally, some verbiage as to recourse of repairs or claims or blah, blah, blah...

Here goes: "The parties understand and agree that the Inspector and its employees and agents assume no liability or responsibility for costs associated with the repair or replacement of any unreported defects or deficiencies either current or arising in the future or any property damage, consequential damage or bodily injury of any nature. In the event of a claim against Inspector, Client agrees to supply Inspector with the following: (1) Written notification of adverse condition within 14 days of discovery, (2) access to the premises, and (3) the right to select a contractor to perform any work. Failure to comply with these requirements shall release Inspector, its employees, and agents from any and all obligations. Client further agrees and understands that in no instance, shall the Inspector be liable for any costs beyond the cost of the actual inspection. In the event that Client brings action against Inspector in a court of law, and fails to prove his/her case, Client agrees to pay all legal expenses of Inspector in defending said claims"

What a friggin' mouthful.

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!!!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY