Shingled valley

Is it possible to tell if the valley is properly shingled. No leaking is noticed underneath.

Got a pic of the entire roof from ground level? All those angles are giving me an ‘optical contusion’! :wink:

That sharp angle makes it look like water could come in from the sides but I am surprised one of the roofers has not responded yet.
I see nothing about angle limitations however go to 2:22 of this GAF video to see how they overlap to help you think about it.
Nailing,corner cut and sealant are important.

Any type of butterfly roof gives me the willys especially in the weather we have up here. I can only remember seeing two in the last 6 years. One was rotted through and through, the other was cut similar to yours. Didn’t find any issues in the valley but the roof was getting near replacement so I recommended a further evaluation with special attention paid to the valley and the chimney.

It is just a cut valley. If you can get a shingle up the bottom layer should extend a good 6 inches onto the other side and then the cut shingle goes over it. If its not leaking then it should be fine.

I agree. Although the cuts don’t appear to line up, sloppy work, it should be OK.

Doubt the shingle MFG. would warranty it but they never do anyway.

Why does the moss only appear on one side of the valley.

I would not have a problem with the cut valley.

The moss I have a problem with.

Awesome guys,thx for all the input, I didn’t see any issues but noted it wasn’t the best detail for this paticular valley.

Are you sure that valley is not being used as a grow-opp?
The valley’s OK but debris is collecting due to several factors.
1: I bet they ( roofers ) did not cut the top of the shingles top upper section that is angled, that is closest to the valley at a 45 % angle to stop rain water from coming back on the shingle ridge.
2: the could have opened the valley to allow faster runoff and repel snow and ice.
3: it looks like a 5/12 so at the valley it will be less of an angle so that is even more reason to cut it open.
4: Tress,s are leaving it shaded so moss and other organic materials will take hold easier.
A simple maintenance will stop the effect form gathering speed to destroy the roof.
Just my opinion.

I think you are right, Robert.
It is pretty typical here in Seattle to have moss on the roof.
This type of valley is typical in dryer climates and works best in a valley with 2 different pitches.
I see it as problematic but there is no issues currently.
Seller is aware. It is a pre-listing inspection.

All you confirm is what you can see. That looks like a very typical cut valley. The cut shingles should have stopped short of the valley center-line a couple of inches, but cutting along the center-line is a very common mistake and I wouldn’t mention it if I saw no sign of leakage in a roof that had been in place for a while. I might mention it on a new home but I’d also mention that it almost never causes leaks.
The moss on one slope probably has to do with shading. The only way to distinguish between cut valleys and California cut valleys is to look at the base of the valley for the bottom of the starter strip.

Good tip, Kenton.

I have never seem valleys finished like that Ken.
Its appears to be woven at the end.
It must be inbreed-ed ( shingles ) in plastic to prevent water tracking under that style of valley.
Would never cut it in Quebec and roofer would be fined of hear from RBQ.

Pretty common in CA and CO, Robert. I can’t speak for other places. I’ve never personally found a valley I could blame on this type of installation, but when you factor in shingle quality, installation quality, roof design, homesite, etc. there are probably places where they’re sorry they didn’t pay a little more and get a better job.

Love to see some photos of the process Ken. Sorry for the edit all, but when I looked close at the install it looks like the woven part is lifting due to shrinkage and water has traced underneath, henceforth the under layment and decking, fascia board are rotting also.
Is it the photo or is the valley off center cut. I see no metal valley and the cut to the weaving takes place on the upper plane by several inches. am I mistaken?
I did straight woven valley 25 years back. No cutting just weave.
Again love to see photos Ken.
Thanks…Robert

Looks like it will be ok for now however in maybe 15+ years I would not want to own this home, there is a very good chance this valley will fail and leak when this comp roof gets some age on it… I cant tell you how many comp valleys I have took up and reinstalled with valley metal…just my 1 cents…

Love to see what Marcel has to say.

Here lapped shingle valleys last about half as long as the rest of the shingles. I always write them up when I see them, but not as a defect. I have noticed many shingle valleys here that need replaced when the rest of the roof is fine.

Garry when you write up the roof how do you write it up?
If not

Garry if you do not write it up as a defect then how do you write it up.
I am interested but I know I will not run by a roof that has been laid like that in Montreal Quebec.