Shortage creates demand for home inspectors in Canada

Shortage creates demand for home inspectors.

Excel! Career College has received government funding for 11 scholarships in a new home inspector program it has created.

http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=6&cat=46&id=692114&more=

Yes a local shortage. Come to my area and see how many inspectors there are in competition with one another.

Oh…did you hear… CAHPI will solve this concern by certifying 5000 inspectors by 2007! This is a fact it was in the Sarnia Observer.

Well okay I am lying. CAHPI has thus far been unable to find the 5000 inspectors, hasn’t got the first group certified, and those that are certified between now and Novembers National Conference in Alberta won’t get their certification until the conference. Something to do with those first 100 inspectors who want to be Nationally Certified creating a competition problem for those who haven’t been certified yet.

Do not worry CAHPI will fix the shortage and do what they have in Ontario.
They will tell them how great the inspection Industry is Just give us your money and we will have a lot of inspectors
90% who give up in the first three years.
It has been working well for OAHI they just keep takings the money .

The more I hear,
the more I see!
NACHI is the one for me !
Roy Cooke R.H.I. Royshomeinspection.com
A HAPPY NACHI MEMBER,… More find this out ever day!

Remember Whistler http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4935

Demand for home inspectors? What planet are they on?

What planet? The planet is called CRAPI, its on the outer edge of the solar system. The planet does have very low oxygen levels which has stunted the simple life form that exists on the surface. As a result the simple life form exhibits very low cognetive skills. :slight_smile: :wink:

Another interesting statement - if indeed factual, more particularly with the current requirements for accreditation of training providers under the National Initiative. To my understanding none have been “officially” approved to date.

Whats going to happen to all those mills out there that currently offer 9 day, or 2 week courses? I don’t think they will be able to muster the passing grade to be Nactionally accredited as course providers right? I mean after all this Excell course is 26 weeks. Thats got to be way better than a 9 day or 2 week home inspection course any day. :slight_smile:

Ray - You hit on a good point, most licensed states and all of the provincial associations of CAHPI. A specific number of educational hours before an inspector is licensed or certified such as the new requirement of 200 hours plus of 50 hours of mentored onsite experience. Certainly there is a place for the 7 - 14 day programs. I consider like many academics - those short term ones as a good starting point or the equivalent to an “Intro” course.

College courses have up that level to specific courses such as electrical, structural, plumbing, hvac and building science/building envelope and so on to provide more meaningful depth and knowledge in 10 to 16 weeks of study on a major system of a house.

Those that feel the 9-14 day model is good enough, simply are short-changing their future and possibly services to the client. Not to mention likely raising liability with it.

These college courses give good back ground but they also convince those who have taken the courses that they are now ready to do inspections .
We have in my area about 15 who are trying to make a living and the agents just love them they have a certificate and are qualified and away they go $200:00 and doing more inspections in a day then most other inspectors would ever think of doing.
I wonder when one is going to be in court trying to defend them selves.
We even now have one of the ex directors of OAHI in Kingston ( who is on the NATIONAL Certification ) has now lowered his price to try and stay in business to $299:00 .
This is what happens when the colleges continue to advertise take our course and you too can be a Home Inspector.
The industry just gets watered down.
I feel Government licensing is the way to go .
I just did one in Kingston for $424:00 .

The more I hear,
the more I see!

The 50 hours of mentoring through onsite inspections is designed to provide experience. In addition, some need to remember their own very first inspection. We were all likely a bit nieve and uncertain! Next how many fee-paid inspections equate to adequate field experience? Now factor in the inspectors background.

That’s likely why some associations have mandated the upfront need for inspectors to gain experience rather than assume that everyone starts out on the same footing.

Certainly I agree that beyond knowledge through courses, experience and mentoring will help build the required requisite traits for a good or better inspector.

Even after students have completed the college courses or home inspection program are they deemed fit to practice without field experience. But is that not what happens, irregardless. Currently anyone can start up tomorrow, at least in Canada, without any experience, or by taking the short-cut!

We know you can join Ashi or OAHI with no exam .
NACHI has an good exam that must be passed before joining .
I do remember my first Home Inspection I was very nervous and obviously I did a good job as the Doctor that I did the Inspection for said to me .
" I have had four Inspections before and you with out a doubt are the best most efficient inspector I have had.".
I feel this was because I had done over 100 inspections with my son and (took all the courses I could find) and one each with two other inspectors to see how they did inspections .
From my experience the quickest way to be a successful home Inspector is with mentoring.
I started out charging more then any other HI in my area and still charge the most as I feel I am worth it.
I feel the BEST future for the home inspectors in Canada is with NACHI .
They supply good teaching at sensible costs do much for their members .
The members also show how great they are by helping all at any time members and none members .
Discrimination is not practiced in NACHI.
Most of the NACHI Bulltin Board is open to all people every where.

The more I hear,
the more I see!