Should all new panels be labeled on a directory

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Question:

Should all new panels be labeled on a directory, or would it be acceptable to use sticky labels provided for the purpose next to each circuit breaker.

The reason for this question is because the electrician says that the panels will come only with the sticky labels.

This will help to settle a dispute currently causing heartburn!

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: lungar

Joe I would think either one would be good

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

408.4 Circuit Directory.

All circuits and circuit modifications shall be legibly identified as to purpose or use on a circuit directory located on the face or inside of the panel door in the case of a panelboard, and at each switch on a switchboard.

That seems pretty unambiguous but what do you do with a panel without a door?

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Thanks for the replies, especially Greg since I bet my class of over 14 people that you wold reply. I will have a beer on you tonight!!

PS: Did you get the video I mailed to you?

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

When I was inspecting I judged the “directory”, more on the quality of the information, than the format.

A half dozen breakers, neatly identified on the panel directory, as “lights” was not good enough for me. On the other hand if they neatly identified each breaker on the dead front by what they really did ie. “Overhead Lights rm 102-105” I was OK with it even if it wasn’t really on the directory.

There are plenty of small panels that don't have a door to mount a directory on but they still have breakers that need to be identified.

"Commercial" usually does a lot better job in coordinating and identifying circuits than residential.