Should fascia metal sealed at gable ends?

Should fascia metal sealed at gable ends? Most of the time the answer is an obvious yes as I have seen damage in these areas multiple times. This gable end however, meets further down the slope and seems to be very much over the shingles on this new construction. Thank you for your input.
gable1

1 Like

For me, I want to see a one inch clearance between the fascia material and the roof shingles to prevent moisture wicking.

10 Likes

Good point. Thank you. It seems one inch there would allow an opening to the soffit region allowing critters and insects to enter. Squirrels love these areas of homes.

1 Like

Yep, pick your poison. James Hardie, for example requires the clearance. How the gap is handled is up to the builder. Flashing would be a good place to start.

1 Like

Thank you. That would explain why its always different. Appreciate the answer.

2 Likes

If I can elaborate. I call out the clearance problem because it WILL deteriorate. Rodent/animal entry is a separate issue that I cannot predict and would likely be handled by a pest control contractor if the problem arises.

5 Likes

Pretty much all building products should have a clearance between the shingles and the end of the material, this would be the fascia in this situation. If you were to seal that, it would trap any water that did get behind it and this would cause more issues. If you want to seal areas like that or at a soffit return, etc., I would add metal flashing to those areas.

11 Likes

Thank you Scott

1 Like

what Scott said…

3 Likes

Normally I see flashing behind the fascia board that bends under the shingles, so rodent entry isn’t a worry. There should be a gap at the bottom of the fascia though. How much is dependent on the material, climate, AHJ, or installer… I’m with @bcawhern1 on wanting to see at least one inch…

8 Likes

@mdurante, You beat me to it,

6 Likes

Is that aluminum fascia? I don’t think anyone asked that.
If so, I wouldn’t call it out, unless you can see that the wood is also touching

2 Likes

I was wondering the same. I could not tell. Thank you for the input. I decided to not call it out.

I have not seen flashing yet installed this way. Definitely is what I am recommending for now on.Thank you

1 Like

Not the best pics but it was what I could find quickly. Don’t pay attention to the expansive foam in the corners… :laughing: Silly DIYers…

2 Likes

Berlin Dean CPI…[quote=“Jason Sagers, #HI11576, post:1, topic:226483, full:true, username:jsagers”]
Should fascia metal sealed at gable ends? Most of the time the answer is an obvious yes as I have seen damage in these areas multiple times. This gable end however, meets further down the slope and seems to be very much over the shingles on this new construction. Thank you for your input.
gable1
[/quote]

I don’t believe any opening is good. Especially if you can’t see where the opening terminates. Sealing the opening assures no infiltration of H20, vermin, or insects. Exposed wood within the crack or opening is an invitation to deterioration that may evolve into long term headaches and unnecessary expenses.

Even with aluminum wrap, it still has wood behind it and it will rot. Just best to keep that min 1" clearance and even more if possible!

2 Likes

Correct, but the wood could have been cut short, and the aluminum run longer for appearances. These pics are very typical of what I see

Any place the roof shingles and wall, fascia, soffits etc., intersect / meet must be properly flashed. Openings allow pests and moisture to enter the structure which is not a proper installation. It’s that simple. Many builders do not properly flash these areas (mostly because the tradesman were not properly trained or they are cutting corners).

2 Likes

Helpful pics. Thank you!!