Should IR be part of the Standard of Practice

Hello all Ontario Home Inspectors! It has come to my attention that some feel we should add IR as a Standard of Practice others feel that it should be left as Ancillary. So a vote of Yes or No has been added.

Where do you draw the line how about a scope down the sewer lines .
There are plenty more things we could do .
The sop has been great why confuse the issue.
How about what level is required Level one or ?
I think this is a dumb idea .

This is a separate inspection which has nothing to do with the SOP.

I realize people (some inspectors) use their Cams as a tool while performing an inspection. I’m not sure if they realize all the money their losing if they don’t explain while booking the inspection this service is available and strongly recommended.

Or. People could say we use thermal imaging while performing their inspection, we charge more than others who are not trained in this technology, you’ll be glad you had us perform the inspection utilizing thermography.

I agree with Roy and Dale!
It is a dumb idea.

cheers

I also agree.

So why should you be the fall guy .
I would let those who want it to post there own ideas.

Let Mikey do it!

Maybe these are Mike Holmes SOP. I offer IR as an ancillary service and I explain that this is an inspection that is way beyond of what the SOP define as a visual inspection. I charge more for this and I also spend extra 1.5 hours if I do a complete IR scan.

As I consider your question, playing devils advocate I have had these thoughts;

Should there be a standard of practice for doing thermal imaging during a home inspection?

If you discussed this with your insurance providers, you may find some interesting perspective. When you conduct a home inspection and you pull out an IR camera, are you increasing your insurance liability? The answer would be that if you do it correctly and according to ASTM or other industry standards, no. However we have seen a perfect example just this week on this message board (Moisture Under Windows) where thermal imaging was connected to a home inspection that put the home inspector in a potential liability situation.

I have had this conversation with my insurer and his perspective is that if there is a connection to a home for sale, thermal imaging would be covered. Doing thermal imaging of a horses *** would not be!

Thermal imaging does not collect definitive data like radon gas testing, mold testing, sewer testing etc. The thermal camera is not a moisture meter, a thermometer or an amperage meter. The Thermographer is the one that must analyze and make these apparent readings usable. As so many are not doing this and utilizing apparent measurements, (because they don’t know otherwise) maybe there should be some standards involved. Such as; if you identify what you believe is moisture, you use an alternative means of determining moisture content at the anomaly site. This can be visual, moisture meter etc.

The SOP would incorporate industry standards into the home inspection standard. Just like every other standard it will spell out the minimum standard for the particular application. It could also require a minimum educational level. Seeing as there is currently no required standard for education/experience, we are however seeing customer requirements that spell out a minimum standard. So maybe there should be a standard.

The standard should state that you won’t advertise the things that you’re not capable of doing.

Nobody likes to be regulated, but when people start getting hurt, regulation is imminent. Without a set standard it allows you to go about your business anyway you like, but you may find yourself uninsured and liable because you didn’t follow standards that you didn’t think you had to comply with.

Otherwise, infrared thermal imaging should be a separate business and treated as such. No SOP required and let the buyer beware.

Thanks for a very informative post … Roy

Just to be clear Mike Holmes is the one that pushed it. I am trying to make sure it does not become an issue with possible Licensing.

What kind of “Issue” do you perceive?

I’m still not clear as to what you guys are getting at…

So far it is No across the Board however Len feels we should have a standard set up for IR. Anyone want to start developing one? :mrgreen:

Well if Len feels it is a standard then I will send him my mailing address and he can send me an IR camera. It is a poor business decision in my area and I won’t spend money because someone else feels it is best for them. JMO

GTA is the area for IR and only as Ancillary.

Why would anyone would pay thousands for a camera, thousands for training, then give it away “to beat the competition” is beyond me–so no, it should not be included.

Its those idiots on a race to the bottom that make me mad about this entire profession–we should be charging thousands for an inspection like they do in the UK given the phenominal amount of liability we carry around…instead its how many things can i give away for less than $300

grrrr…ok…deep breath…doctor warned me about this…:mrgreen:

Yes Stuart when I enter a Home I have all my equipment with me in a large tool box. I don’t use this equipment unless I have a signed contract for the work I will preform. Of course there is always more in my truck such as Air Sample Equipment for IAQ investigations however I never use them. If I where to buy an IR camera most of the time it would sit in the box along with other equipment for the Standard Home Inspection. I would never do what Mike Holmes does unless it was added into the Inspection contract with my Client and then it would be a minimum of $1000.00 for everything I could provide.

My insurance company only requires me have it in my contract if I use it during a home inspection. I have taken it one step further by sending a letter explaining what IR is and it’s limitations. I have them initial the bottom of the page saying they have read it. I have had thoughts of adding it to my standards of practice. I use the Nachi SOP but there are no rules saying I can’t make my own. If someone feels they need to have it there then by all means write one for your own company. Do not drag everyone else in to it. Just make sure your insurance company gets a copy.

Part of the SOP NO, a business decision yes! To back up a suspicion by your moisture meter Yes! As an ancillary Yes! Proper training YES! YES!
If you can’t afford it …don’t, if you can …use it for all it’s worth.
Reality is it will cost you about 10 inspections to pay for itself ($3-4000.00 entry level eg. Flir E series)
Just my POV