Should NACHI establish a numerical limit for its membership?

Originally Posted By: bkelly1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

That limits the compitetion. Some nachi members are not able to join ashi. Most ashi members can join nachi , and do because nachi is tops, it is no crime to join both.

“Do, or do not. There is no ‘try’.” -Yoda (The empire Strikes Back)

Originally Posted By: jrivera

if someones membership expires would they have to go on a waiting list ??? or would there be a grace period??

Originally Posted By: jferry

rbennett wrote:
Joseph Ferry

You started this

rlb

I think it's a legitimate question at this stage of our growth. I think that there are good arguments on both sides. The genius of message board is that they will get a thorough airing.

Originally Posted By: jkormos

So two years down the road and I am hiring more and more inspectors, then all of the sudden my new inspectors that work for me can not become NACHI members. That just doesn’t sound right, so would I offer NACHI inspections and Non NACHI inspections? something to chew on icon_confused.gif

Joe

Originally Posted By: kelliott

Ah, yes, so many reasons to limit membership:

here’s more:

1. We can stay small, small, small. Anyone considering joining Nachi or another organization will have that decision made for them by Nachi. Join somewhere else! We don’t want you! So where should they go…$shi?

2. Grow or Go. Sam Walton didn't get where he was by limiting memberships to his clubs, but by expanding so the entire western world can be, (and probably is) a member of his clubs.

3. As the "value" of your membership goes up, so will your dues. How much do you want to pay to belong to the organization? Will there be a "black market" on Nachi memberships- Can we sell them off to friends of our choice? Will it be kinda like a scabber at the ball games? Will it really make any difference that your $2500 a year membership is now worth $2550

4. Who in the marketplace looks the newest, most inexperienced? The Big guy-Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Applebees, McDonalds, or the local hardware store, Bob's BBQ shop? Quicktime Burgers? If you're in a strange place, which one are you going to go to, the big guy, or the little guy you know nothing about? Would it help that decision if he only worked part time for a few "exclusive" customers?

5. Our image as a small, insignificant organization with no clout will be significantly enhanced. We will shortly be $shi's very best friends. They'll love it!

6. This follows the $shi "branding" idea quite nicely. They limit their memberships to "quality" people; we limit it to grandfather clauses, and $$$. They're gonna LOOOOVE us!!!

7. It's something else to fight about online!![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) God knows, we need THAT!!!

8. I'm sure there are more, if you just get imaginative.

Originally Posted By: lkage

jferry wrote:
rbennett wrote:
Joseph Ferry

You started this

rlb

I think it's a legitimate question at this stage of our growth. I think that there are good arguments on both sides. The genius of message board is that they will get a thorough airing.

I could be wrong but I think he made that statement relative to this question that Ben asked:

Quote:
Is there anything legally about capping membership within a tax exempt (not for profit) assocaition?

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: jferry

lkage wrote:
jferry wrote:
rbennett wrote:
Joseph Ferry

You started this

rlb

I could be wrong but I think he made that statement relative to this question that Ben asked:

Quote:
Is there anything legally about capping membership within a tax exempt (not for profit) assocaition?

I have not researched that issue but, in general, tax-exempt organizations are prohibited from discriminating on the basis of age, sex, race, religion and the rest of the usual suspects. There are exceptions. For example, the knights of Columbus can limit membership to practicing Catholics.

I don't know of any proscription against limiting the size of the organization and would very much doubt that there is any.

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Mr. Ferry,

If membership is capped how would you handle the situation of a very valuable potential member wanting to join? No slots would mean that we could lose a very valuable asset to the organization.

Of course to handle that situation you could can someone and take their slot. How would you propose to do/justify that? Now we are into a new load of requirements, etc., etc. to tie up the organizations resources to deal with this.

If you have not guessed it I voted no to a cap. The power in any organization is diversity, knowledge and abilities. This becomes even stronger with numbers!!

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Any organization as large, diverse, and dynamic as NACHI must periodically reassess priorities in order to make progress in selected areas determined to be of prime concern to its members. The diversity of the membership dictates a wide range of interests that frequently overlap or complement one another. Nonetheless, we can identify overriding piorities that NACHI should pursue vigorously and coordinate with others within the profession. Only such focusing of efforts and the subsequent evaluation of its activities can ensure needed progress within the profession in a neat and orderly fashion. This alone will entail the full attention of several staff members.

NACHI recognizes its broad responsibilities to our membership. The broad responsibilities of NACHI are defined in terms of the contribution that NACHI can make in ameliorating or solving members educational needs, legislative/licensing needs, and membership benefits; support for efforts to help inform and educate the general public; and the willingness of NACHI to take a position on current critical issues and to examine the many views on and facets regarding these issues.

With the current influx of new members, Staff has been overwhelmed with administrative functions that have deprived us with the necessary assistance/expertice or manpower needed in fulfilling and implementing many on-going and future programs.

NACHI at present is growing exponentially. With this growth comes deprivation of many potential programs not coming to fruitiion because of a simple lack of time.

I can only speak for myself, but I see a deprivation in programs that could possibly be the crux of anyone's business venture. Programs that could prove to be essential to your marketing and "bottom line".

I don't agree with a total moratorium on membership, just a temporary one. One that will last long enough for staff to catch up with the unexpected influx of new members.

Why doesn’t Nachi get some paid staf to catch up with all of the programs. The more embers, the more money. It really is that easy.

“Do, or do not. There is no ‘try’.” -Yoda (The empire Strikes Back)

Originally Posted By: escanlan

You could also break the organization/staff functions into regions and hire staff appropriately.

I'd be happy to work the Southwestern region!!

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

Me too, I need 100,000.00 a year.

after taxes ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." -Yoda (The empire Strikes Back)

I cannot see the benefits of this move, for the membership. I can see tremendous benefits to the admin people. Less work, easier work with less hassles, and dealing only with people you know and like. For them, Great! And it’s not that they don’t work hard and don’t deserve it; they do. But for the membership, I don’t see how this can help bring in business, educate the members, or provide a wide scope of association with other inspectors, by limiting membership. I just can’t see how that says one word about “credible” to our clients.

If the object is to eliminate “newbies” from the business, ain’t gonna happen. I don’t “have” to be a member of ANY organization to do home inspections in Kansas, or 33 other states. So if I were new, and I couldn’t join NACHI or ASHI or Bashi, or whomever, I’d just go with my own logo, and name until I had enough inspections to join Ashi. Nachi would never see me. Even exclusive clubs will have turnover, so that’s got to hurt eventually. In the wallet, if no where else!

You stop for a break in the middle of a post here, and you’re so far behind, by the time you hit submit, it doesn’t matter… icon_lol.gif

OK, if you're talking temporary, I could see that maybe, but then, if the staff is that far back, and our dues are in line, and we're taking in new membership, shouldn't we be able to afford to hire some more help? Somethings wrong with that picture...

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

This is not a cap problem, this is the ability to run a business.

Hire staff based on current membership. 1 associate per 500 members would be a staff of 12.

$289@500=$144,500

What is the cost of membership per year? 50?,$100?

Come on Joe,Nick. If you need an actuary or a CPA to run the numbers, then lets get one. Better yet, give me a proposal to take over as CFO and I can set all of you straight.

How about lets stop launching projects and start executing the ones that have been posted for months.

--
Jay Schwartz
Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc
www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com
Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org
NACHI - Legislative Committee Member
MAB - Member

Originally Posted By: jbushart

jschwartz1 wrote:

How about lets stop launching projects and start executing the ones that have been posted for months.

Yes. Take a couple of weeks to get this done. Then, cap off the membership. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Home Inspection Services of Missouri
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: dnice

gromicko wrote:
I say we issue one membership slot to every NACHI member in good standing, then cap membership. A member could then eventually sell his slot to someone wanting to join. The member could even auction it off to the highest bidder. The buyer would still have to fulfill all membership requirements.

Having a membership slot would be similar to owning stock in NACHI.

I think people sometimes have trouble understanding your sense of humor/creative process. I assume that 1 year slot would be in addition to our own slot so we could make a killing on Ebay.

--
David Nice
National Certified Inspection Services, Inc.
Wauwatosa, WI
http://www.nationalcertified.com

Originally Posted By: dnice

If it’s a staffing issue I suggest that some money be put into a virtual network and create staffing opportunities around the country where employees can teleport to work.

David Nice

National Certified Inspection Services, Inc.

Wauwatosa, WI

http://www.nationalcertified.com

Originally Posted By: rbrown1

IMHO…

There is far more to this than meets the eye. Hire more staff, sure that seems to work, but, who has the time to train them properly. I know that feeling well just from my own Company.

A temporary cap could be done easily. However, for what length of time? I think before anyone can answer that, Nick, the exec' and staff must have a timeline on what they need to put things in order.

This Association is primarily built on membership participation. Many projects are announced with the understanding that the top dogs will have plenty of help from the membership. Unfortunately that is not always the case. Therefore (in some cases) projects are set aside, work and life can get in the way. Again I know that feeling, as I too have volunteered on a project and I like others have made promises that to date I have not been able to keep.

The people who jump in to help are too few to serve so many. If more of us could jump in, (and don't jump all over me, as this is not pointed at anyone, it is simply an observation) more work could be accomplish and help ease the burden on the main players here. However, this can create another problem.

Too many members expect NACHI to hold their hand and send them work. Personally I think those members have it back-a$%-wards. It is the Membership who should be taking the bull by the horns and shouting out about NACHI. It is up to us as well as staff etc. to spread the word. It is up to us to help streamline this Association.

Anyway with that being said.............How long would we have to close the doors in order to re-open bigger, better and ready for an on-slot of applications for membership? This question being asked of the "Powers That Be".

I can see my email inbox filled by morning LOL.

Canada in itself NEEDS more Members. We could use a few more months to get the word out. We have just started to get the ball rolling up here. If we decide to cap, lets hope we have plenty of notice.

Ok I'm ready to duck now. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Bob Brown
President NACHI Du-Ka Chapter ON. Canada
NACHI Cell: 1-484-429-5465

ACISS Home Inspections
bob@aciss.biz

Certified Adult Training Services
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com
info@certifiedadulttrainingservices.com

Originally Posted By: jbushart

rbrown1 wrote:
Too many members expect NACHI to hold their hand and send them work. Personally I think those members have it back-<b>a$%</b>-wards. It is the Membership who should be taking the bull by the horns and shouting out about NACHI. It is up to us as well as staff etc. to spread the word. It is up to us to help streamline this Association.

Excellent, excellent point, Bob.

Imagine if there were just one member to jump in and help for every one member who whines. It would be staggering.

But I must ask why we must know in advance how long of a term we are discussing. Would it not be well enough to know that it is temporary and that, after the infrastructure was perfected, Ellis Island could open again for more immigrants - - - perhaps a more controlled number?

NACHI has become the shiny new wagon that more people want to ride in than pull. I think your post makes this very clear. Let's limit the number of riders until we have a sufficient number of pullers.

--
Home Inspection Services of Missouri
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org