Shower drain on a 90% swoosh question

This shower drain immediately turned on a 90 and I have never seen this before. It was draining ok, but the grate had been removed which may indicate someone has had to unclog it before. Nothing visible from the underside except for a ceiling stain which may or may not be related to the “swoosh”. What do you all think?

1 Like

A tub drain makes a 90° turn.

2 Likes

Report what you see, my friend. :smile:

3 Likes

Exactly the common sense I was lacking at the moment. Thank you Scott. :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

Always good advice!

1 Like

Could be one of these:

4 Likes

I am not immune to these moments

5 Likes

delete delete delete… :smiley:

2 Likes

I thought about it, but maybe it will encourage others to set their pride aside and ask the dumb question. And if anyone wants to poke at me, I can take it. Besides, I friends who are hackers :smile: :smile:

2 Likes

What drain have you seen that nobody ever had to unclog?
I’d say the main problem with the pictured drain is having to look at the icky spots, not lost in the shadow.

For drain stoppers that actually work, and actually catch hair, see:

1 Like

ewwww… :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Yeah, it is actually a valid question for some, as it may catch them off guard. Because it does lead to the possibility of the drain missing a P-Trap. Problem is, you wouldn’t know for sure without a camera.

However, I’m not sure this will come up in the searches as “swoosh”… :smiley:

1 Like

Looks like the fastener is broken off inside. Not going to be an easy fix for the floor grate.

That is exactly what I was trying to visualize, where is the dang trap?

Well: could be just about anywhere nearby. Slab? Framed?
Do you have access to the property again? Stick a snake down it and see if you hit a resistance point. Smell the thing and see if you smell sewer gases.

And the solution, seriously, is stick one of these in instead of the grate:

1 Like

Framed with this drain between finished levels. It drained ok, no sewer smell. But, I had plenty of other plumbing problems in the house due to amateur workmanship; which sort of set me off on this line of thinking.

2 Likes

wise

Flips do that to me. Now they have a “Fix My Flip” show. Solid half hour where they talk alot and fix absolutely nothing!

1 Like