Snappy Trap Drain Assembly

I don’t run into this often but saw it again today. Under the kitchen sink they are using a Snappy Trap setup without using all the Snappy Trap components

. I understand the interior of the pipe is smooth so no concern there. My single question is, it appeared that both drains (one directly from the right sink and 1 directly from the left sink from the grinder, are co-plumbed in a “Y” or “T” to the wall drain over the P-trap. Is this allowed?

Sue google center outlet trap and You will see how it was supposed to be done…

Sue, I would ask your local building plumber inspector… it may not be approved. It is not approved for use in IPC territory. I don’t like it, no proper slope, flimsy… I would write it up as a temporary fix every time. I emailed their support… they are clueless, I would not trust them. That whole job looks like a mess. No high-loop on the dishwasher drain. NM cable unprotected. DIY special :slight_smile:

@srechkin @mwilles First time I ran across these snappy trap today. Any thoughts about these, anything to be worried about with them?

It’s a rated/listed product, but it still needs to be installed correctly.

3 Likes

Agree with @ddagostino . Even though rated, it’s usually a quick DIY fix and more than likely needs to be properly plumbed by a licensed plumber.

2 Likes

As far as I know it’s only rated in UPC when installed correctly. This model has a IPC sticker on it.

What about this, Martin?

Yup UPC. There’s a IPC sticker on it too.

The best thing to do is ask your building department/AHJ. I don’t know how they got the product rated because the materials used are not even in the (latest) code yet. They told me it is not in the code but is listed to be added to the code :thinking: How the heck is it approved if it’s not part of the code YET? I ran out of steam trying to chase it down to the genius(es) who approved this crap at IAPMO. I can give you their email and you can ask :slight_smile: If I encountered this crap during my inspection, it’s going into the report (I’m not in the UPC territory). You just need to word it carefully. I would explain to my client that it’s a cheap, atypical, temporary fix typically executed by a nonprofessional. Long-term performance of this product is questionable, replacement with conventional piping may be necessary. My biggest concern with this product is that the homeowner can easily bend it out of its proper slope/shape.

The way it’s installed in your pic is you end up double trapping, not to mention the ptrap appears crooked:

1 Like

Of course, the more information that your client hast make a decision, the better. :thinking: