So what do you think?

New construction, well about a year old but still new. Hillside construction. So half the crawl space is a true crawl space, hand and knees. The other half is cut into the hillside, about 8 feet lower.

This is the only beam, in the middle of the house running from one end to the other. A total of 9 posts, 5 on the poured concrete in the dug out areas and 4 placed in between those in the rounds.

The cut is about 7-8 feet high and along the full length of the beam, about a foot away from the edge of the poured rounds.

So what would you say?

Honeycutt 028 (Small).JPG

Honeycutt 031 (Small).JPG

The angle of repose is typically 45 degrees and that doesn’t even get close. I’d call it out.

Call it out.

You described that to me yesterday Steve, and that’s even worse than I imagined. What were they thinking?

Needs an Engineered fix.

Holy crap where was the AHJ? I suppose that bodes well for the future of home inspections.
Where the slope is steeper than one unit vertical in one unit horizontal the required set back shall be measured on an imaginary plane 45 degrees to the horizontal, projected upward from the toe of the slope. now in english if the cut is 7’ the set back would need to be 9.89’

All in addition to serious moisture issues by looking at the floor insulation condition.

I had one like that last month. I referred it to a SE, and it was not anywhere near this bad.

Im am just finishing up a root cellar…I only dug about 4 feet deep and it was engineered…and yes; rule of thumb is a 1:1 ratio or 45 degrees as previously mentioned…again that also have to do with the compaction rating of the soil.

regards

Update on this item. Talked to the AHJ who looked up some information on this property. Over a year old, does not have CO yet. According to the AHJ, the builder states he has documentation with engineers stamp for the current configuration. AHJ further states that until they get that documentation and perform their final inspection, nothing will be signed off. If the documentation is not forthcoming or does not meet standards, a retaining wall will be required.

Should be interesting paperwork from the engineer. Can’t wait to see it.

I agree. That insulation looks like it’s been through hell for only being a little over 1 year old. Obviously this place has some serious issues. I’m these are only a few of many!

I’ve seen homes that are 30+ years, and the insulation in the crawlspace looks awesome.

great post. while the loading on that footing is probably pretty insignificant it will be interesting if the builder can find an engineer with big enough b_ _ ls to put his license on the line for that configuration. if the AHJ had picked this up they would have already had a letter on file from when they performed the footing inspection. good catch and good service to your client