Software?

Originally Posted By: dbush
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Has anyone heard of or used First Choice Software. I am new to this BB so there may have been previous posts that I did not see, if so sorry. I have been using a primitive one that I did on MS word but I looked at First Choice and found it interesting, but I was wondering if anyone had actually used it. Thanks, Dave

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Dave,

Sorry I can not help you out. I have never heard of that particular software before. Hang in there, maybe someone else here uses it.

Joe Myers

Joe,

Here is the website that I found the software from. I like the detail that is possible as well as the opportunity to insert pictures wherever you like, etc. If you ever get a chance, I would like some other opinions though. Thanks, Dave

http://www.homeinspectorsoftware.com/

Originally Posted By: gbell

Hello Dave

Thanks for the link. It appears that you get what you pay for. I think that there is no wrong software it is just what each person is used to using. Once you become familiar with a program then it is easy for you to use it. If you notice over the last year the suppliers are adding new perks, such as being able to load the report to the web. I have found this to be a great option. The report looks different when you e-mail it some times. Just my two cents worth.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Hello Dave,

I checked out the web site that you posted on the BB. The report likes nice however I am weary of a few things.

The first and most important to me would be that you are reporting what they want you to report. Is this provided on a template which can be easily tailored to you wants and needs? If not you are always stuck with what they want you to do with your report.

The second and less important would be that you are pretty much limited to doing a "check list" style when reporting materials. I would only use this if I could erase the other choices while actually compiling the report. That is more of a "me" thing, many people like that style, just happens I do not.

Otherwise this report looked nice. If I could modify it to correct the two issues that I personally have with it, I would use it.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I’ve been trying out a product called InspectExpress. It’s okay, but no great shakes…

Originally Posted By: jremas

Joe, is there a website for Inspectit Express?

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

search on “Inspect Express”+software. that should take you to their site.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi, I’ve been reading with interest the comments about software, and as a new inspector I want to start out doing computer generated reports on site. I have been looking at both the 3D and Homeguage systems and am pretty impressed with both of them, especially as I want to be able to incorporate digital photography into any part of the report. I would welcome comments from anyone using either of these or would take serious note of any other software suggestions. regards Gerry icon_confused.gif

Originally Posted By: Rickbunzel

Geri,

I use 3D and incorporate digital photo into all of my reports. For a newer inspector it's something that sets me apart from the old dawgs. It looks like 3D was designed to incorporate pictures. I have a memory card reader for the smart media card out of my Olympus that plugs into the USB port in my computer. So getting the pictures from the camera into report is clean and easy.

3D is very customizable and just by looking at the companies that make additional reports I got some great ideas on how I wanted to customize mine. You can customize all the canned verbage that they provide plus add your own. When I see a great description (eifs mold, CO) I will save it and the next time I do maintaince I add it into 3D.

You can see samples of my reports at
www.MVPinspection.com click on report library.

//Rick

--
Rick Bunzel
Mountain View Property Inspections

Originally Posted By: Joe Wright

Rick,

I checked out your webpage and it is very informative, lots of info for the customer. My only question is where is your NACHI link? NAHI but no NACHI … what’s up with that?

Joe

Hi Rick ,

Thanks for the comments, by the way like your site it looks really good, I will certainly be pinching some of your ideas, I plan to opperate the same way you do with hardware/card readers etc, but I think I will be going with HOMEGAUGE rather than 3d its a close call but I do prefer thier user interface and their out of the box boiler plate is better suited to my needs, also I’m sick of looking at software, I’m currently running 12 different demo programes, and i just need to make a desision. I do like however the add on materials that are available for 3D. Like I said it’s a close call.

many thanks

Gerry

Ok, after 3 months of using software for inspections, I am now switching to paper format. WHY!! Everyone else is moving towards software & paper is used less, right? Here is my reason & my reason only, this is another viewpoint for some to consider:

*I don't have the money to spend on a laptop
*I don't have the money to spend on software
*I tried some software but spent too much time working after the inspection.
*If my computer craps out during an inspection, then what?
*I don't have to spend money on a portable printer to do onsite reports.
*When I finish the inspection at the house, I am done, finished.
*I found a great reporting system that is easy for the client to follow.
*I am tired of my digital camera freezing up in the cold temps. Now, only my pen freezes and I just get a warmer one out & rotate them.
*Lack of good support 24/7 when the software had bugs.
*They are numbered and hand written making it harder to alter my report.
*I have asked several clients & they all wanted the report on the spot and the pictures were not important because they were present for the inspection.
*I like the smell of NCR

The downside is:
# I cannot email them.(they get them on the spot anyway)
# I cannot add digital pictures for clients who were not present. (although this can be done separately very easily to accent the report)
# They are too expensive $8-$13 per report.
# I hate to run out of them.

Just some thoughts. Let the debate begin...(have fun)

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: Rickbunzel

Jeff,

Can't argue with your logic. Personally I have made the choice not to do onsite reports mainly because of the clients who are getting in the way and being relatively new (probably only have 50 inspections under my belt) I find it useful to have time to reflect on the issues. How many times have you driven away from an inspection with what I would call "report remorse?" I have heard it from other inspectors, that after the fact they wish they phrased an issue a certain way or forget to add something they saw on the roof or in the crawl....

The downside is that I probably spend an extra hour on the reports. The upside is that I have really clean easy to read, illustrated report and I minimize my liability with appropriate descriptions of the issues. I have never had my camera freeze up although I have been putting no fog on the lense and when its really cold I will tuck the camera inside my jacket.

//Rick

--
Rick Bunzel
Mountain View Property Inspections

Rick, I agree with what you say, “report remorse” is a BIG downsize that I did not list. I originally wanted to have time to look back and reflect. I think if you have a good reporting system, it makes it hard to finish filling them out if you missed something. The good thing is that you are at the house and can go right back to what you forgot to look at it again as opposed to trying to work from memory (much harder when you did 2 the same day)

BTW, in 8-10 years we plan on moving out to Colorado. I will hate to have to start all over again but who knows what the business will bring in that amount of time.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: James Unice

Hey guys…how’s it goin. I was just speaking with Nick and he suggest I post this question. Can those of you who use Word to do your reports please send me your template? It can be filled in or blank…doesn’t really matter. I’m tring to put a report together on Word and finding it a tough go. You see I used to be a Macintosh man for about the last 10 years and this Windows platform is rather new to me…I’m gettin it though. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please email it to me at: tune@charter.net

Thanks much guys,
Jim

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

Jim,

Congrats for making the switch. You won't regret it. icon_smile.gif

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

Hi Jim,

frankly I can’t belive that you want to start from scratch with MS word, I am very familiar with the MS office suite and would personally find it easier to start from MS access, However I’m not the whole market and I know many people use MS word not the least of who is Joe Myers, who no doubt ill have something to say an the subject icon_lol.gif . If you’re really committed to word take a look at Inspect Express by devwave if that doesn’t cure you, I’ll UPS some Asprin !! icon_lol.gif

Seriously though, there is so much commercial software out there, is it really worth spending the time to develop some yourself, rather than spending the time on promoting your business ??

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

All,

Here is a fairly good, inexpensive software. It has some minor faults, but it has a really good notes section that you can add anything to. I use it to make up for anything that does not have a block. Again, it is not the best, but it is definitely a good starter program.

http://www.homeinspectorsoftware.com/

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Dave,

I like the simplicity of that software when it come to the reporting but the formatting does leave some to be desired. Good find though, thanks for sharing that with the rest of us.

Joe Myers