Software?

Originally Posted By: James Unice
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’m not sure what to do. I dl the demos and the programs seem complex to me. I just think it would b MUCH easier to have it in WORD and be able to look at the template and manipulate it to my liking.

Thanks,

Jim

Originally Posted By: aaustin

I would avoid any paper based checklist reports. Most are horrid and incomplete.

I would also avoid any software system that makes the user pay for usage. Such is the case with Inspect-it software. It is based on MS Word.

3D software is ok, but is database oriented. I find databases very inflexable.

Originally Posted By: bob mooney

i have been using hippo software from inspectware

top reasons it is worth the money

1. you can change what ever part of the layout you want
2. easyier to use and change than any other software i downloaded the demo's for
3. easy to post pictures
4. saves pictures and reports in there own file
5. clean look
6. extremely easy to email reports. just make sure they have acrobat reader. free software

i agree that reports should be done at your office.i use a tape recorder for notes during the inspection and take pictures including a front shot for the cover of the report. you can also print a templet of your report out and use for notes or for customers that have to have the report immediately. good luck and check it out at inspectware.com

Originally Posted By: dacton

I am currently using QuickStart 2000 Home Inspection Suite. It incorporates an Inspection Check List Pak, Inspection Report Pak, Business Operations Pak, Professional Marketing Pak and a Business Manual. It works in conjunction with Microsoft Publisher 2000 and is totally customizable and also has connected Database from your Appointment sheet throughout your report. The price is $169.95 and worth it!

I am enclosing the Link if anyone wants to check it out. icon_idea.gif

http://quickstart2000.com

--
Donald A. Acton
Acton Property & Environmental Inspection Services
North Massapequa, New York

Originally Posted By: sfrank

Ok, I am in the infancy stages of starting my Inspection Business. I am having great difficulty deciding how to set up my reports, check lists etc.

There are so many options out there and I want to start off on the right foot.

I THINK I want to use a paper check list that goes room by room to do the inspection then transfer the info to the computer at the office to complete the clients report along with a summary page grouping all items by catagory (plumbing, electrical, etc,). My reasoning is this; Paper and pen will not fail me while on site. It will give me time to reflect on the inspection and write the report to make sure it is complete and worded properly. The computer generated report is much more professional looking.

I have not found ANY software or paper reports that are set up for room by room format and the others that go by catagory have you jumping from page to page which makes no sense to me.

I also want the program to be fully customizable so I can add/delete items to suit my needs.

Am I asking too much icon_question.gif Can anyone HELP icon_question.gif icon_cry.gif

If you want to reply in detail feel free to email me at absolute1@zoominternet.net icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Scott,

sorry for the brief response, but I’ve got to run. Palm-tech software includes a room by room template, and most of the other packages can be tailored to do the same with varying degrees of difficulty.

Gerry Beaumont

NACHI Education Committee

e-mail : education@nachi.org

NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: dacton

Scott,

Check out the QuickStart 2000 Software it use both a paper check-list of room by room and a Software Generated Report.

It is also fully customizable at a nice price!

icon_biggrin.gif

Donald A. Acton

Acton Property & Environmental Inspection Services

North Massapequa, New York

Thanks Don and Gerry for your responces. Both Palm-Tech and Quickstart2000 keep showing up so I will start there.

Do you agree with my approach or am I missing the boat?

Thanks again,
Scott

Today I was able to download a sample of Palm-Tech reporting software. It is SWEET! icon_biggrin.gif Very easy to use, customizable, great layout. I’m impressed!

They even offer “bundles” with a pocket pc or handheld pc and include software for the desk top back at the office. I’m still going to check out a few others but my gut tells me I’ll be wasting my time.

Thanks again for the info. Anybody else out there should still reply.

Scott

Originally Posted By: mpatton

Check out HomeGuage.com icon_biggrin.gif

Michael Patton

AA Home Inspection

Serving Northern KY & Greater Cincinnati OH

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Originally Posted By: Brian Sears

I presently use a product by Home Guage. it offers the ability to upload all your reports to their site to be viewed by the client and the realtor. I also have my web site their. I used Inspectit for two years and 3-D for a year. I like this one because you can revise it any way you want and I can deliver all my reports online the same evening and no running around. Also all my reports are stored on their site for an off site back up.

Check them out

Brian

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

http://www.homeinspectorsoftware.com is offering NACHI members a modest discount.

Nick

Originally Posted By: rbailey

Being a home inspector and working in the computer information field led me to design my own user friendly electronic report. It took my paper report, including the letterhead etc…, and designed a PDF Form which uses tab fields and cannot be altered by accident. I can do the same with your report for a small fee. If you a comfortable with your report but you want to use a computer printed final product, I will convert it. Your report will look more professional to your client and you will not have to learn a new program. Email me if you have any further questions.

R Bailey

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

My First post icon_exclaim.gif I see that Don Action likes Quickstart 2000, Don Did you already have/ use Microsoft Publisher ? It comes with a 6 page " getting started" , Big learning curve ( for me anyway ) I think it would be easyer to make templates in word and go from there icon_rolleyes.gif wonder if I can import the Quickstart templates into word, Kevin

Originally Posted By: GENE LITTLE

Seasons Greetings Folks,

Like everyone posted here ive been d/l numerous demos of reporting software, but i find most to be overpriced. I went looking on e-bay and found a reporting system for only $39.95 (winning bid) no one else even bid on it. Its "The Home Inspection Report System " and included :

1. Home Inspection Report

2. Marketing Tools

3. Administrative tools

4. Electrical Calculators

5. Reference Manuals

6. Training Manuals

7. Practice Examination and more (lots of updated sections)

It operates with windows office 2000 or Open Office which is included with package. Ive Tweeked this report and I think its great. You can either print it out and do the report on site or fill it in and complete a computer generated home report , check it out at www.bestinspectors.net, remember I won this real cheap on e-bay , direct purchase may be more, check out e-bay 1st for a deal like i got.oh ya came with a lifetime licence and membership. Yall have a safe and happy holiday :~) icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted By: John Edwards

Howdy, all, new guy (and soon-to-be NACHI member) here . Looking at a business launch in late January/early February. The handheld software option is the most attractive to me at this point. I’m looking for software that integrates handheld and PC-- in other words, point-and-click on the handheld in the crawlspace, attic, etc., then dump the report and photos to the laptop in the truck to write narratives, save, and print. Seems like lotsa folks are using 3D and like it. Has anyone tried this one?

http://www.homenspector.com/default.asp

Looks interesting and considerably cheaper than 3D. Would like to hear any opinions (I've ordered the demo) and any other recommendations for handheld software.

Anyway-- thanks for all the good info, and best holiday wishes to everyone.

Cheers,

John

Originally Posted By: Robert Alexander

Hello,

I use InspectVue software and have been very impressed with it.

* Comes with a mobile module that allows you to use PocketPC unit like iPAQ to record things on-site, then sync/upload to laptop to do editing, etc. The narrative library is on the Mobile version as well so no learning how to do cryptic text input to PDA.

* The best photo manipulation/editing I have seen.
* I like that it outputs to PDF (Adobe Acrobat format) as it prevents someone from makes unauthorized changes to your report - it happens, trust me.

Check it out at: www.pvsoftware.com

Originally Posted By: tgardner

John,

I have been using Nspector for 3 months now - coupled with a toshiba e740 and an Emachines laptop.

It is a relational database but there is no utility to change the basic design. The developer does leave some spaces to input your own sections, but does not allow for changing the layouts etc. If one is a wiz at MS access, one could make changes and quickly add or subtract disclaimers, create additional observations and generally customize the program, but that is not for the faint of heart.

There are some drawbacks to the report generation software. One is limited to the developers idea of what a report should be. The nice thing is you can add photos, edit and change the report at will.

For those that want a PDF format - buy acrobat and install it. Then you can print the report to the Acrobat Print utility and create your own pdf of your report to e-mail, upload etc. However, all PDF files can be altered/ recreated, cut and pasted etc.

For security, I burn CDs of the reportand all photos taken during the inspection and include a copy with the report to the client. And one for my records as well. The CD cannot be altered by the realtor (oops, did I say That?)

I would STRONGLY recommend that you print and use the checklist or a checklist untill you have many months ( years?) of experience before relying solely on a PDA at an inspection. I even carry a voice activated recorder to record my observations. ( my laptop uses voice recognition software to transcribe these notes.)

Lastly, I would STROOOONGLY advise against doing onsite reports. As one new to the HI industry, that is a sure way to jump into the fire from the hot water.

All that said, I use this software, have altered it for my own use, and am a satisfied customer.

Regards, TG

For

Originally Posted By: pgudek

John, Be careful when they say it’s a “Pocket PC” My so called “Pocket PC” a two month old Dell Axium, fell out of my pocket. Too bad for me I was on a roof. It smashed to bits. I did enjoy it while it lasted though. It cut the report time using 3D in half. My wife says I have to suffer for a few months before I can get a new one. I’m looking at “Belt PC’s” now.