Spacing picts

The first two were taken done by the previous inspector. The second two were mine.

If you are doing to do a wind mit you should be marking in a clear 3-4 ft area.

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

I suggest all do what fits you best as an inspector.

I use a 6 inch ruler showing the distance between 2 marks and then the ruler acts as a scale.

I HAVE NEVER had a problem with my method and believe it is safer and easier to do than method above.

Also many cameras do not have a wide enough view for the pictures you take. Mine does.

Each inspector should prove it in his or her own way to AVOID standardization.

Standardzation makes all appear equal in the eyes of the client and makes them feel all should cost the same.

If you feel the way you do is best do it that way so you stand out.

DO NOT try to tell others how they should do it as everything being the same on every report is bad for all of us.

Just my 2 cents.

John,

Why did you decide to post this?

That must be one crappy job to do in the Fla. Summer! :oops:

Like this?

Burke (117) (Custom).JPG

I wish they were all that easy …

I posted it because some people would like to be better at their job. When I see reports(and marks) that clearly show the inspector did not know how to do a good job or did not want to I feel it makes us all look bad. In this case the metal gusset plate would interfere with their measurement marks. It is about getting it right, not about standardization. I am sorry you do not see that. Why is it you do not want to do a good job or the best job possible?

I fixed it for ya Mr. Anderson! :wink:

I have seen all different markings that put quite simply, cannot be possible. I posted one picture awhile back with 10 marks in a six inch space. What type of nailing pattern would that be?

If I remember correctly, at the conference John put on a year or so ago, he stated that the insurance companies were looking for a certain number of nails in a certain space ( 6 nails in a 36 inch space, I think).

It would seem to make sense to use something that shows that, which is why I use a yardstick. Clamping it in place makes it easier to take the picture.

And, wait until you see my new standard for proving nail length! :wink:

I like to make them a little darker

P2040331.JPG

P2040330.JPG

I didn’t have to even mark the ones in the picture I posted…“shiners”! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It depends on what you use on the scanner to make your mark. I use the side of the scanner. I know the center is what reads the nail but regardless the spacing is the same. My post only shows a short distance off the plywood seam but I do scan more than what are in my pictures. Sometimes due to the attic space you can only photograph so much.

I was questioning why you posted the pict we all could see the others work was terrible but i assumed you were saying your way was the only way. I did not take note that you were saying it should be done in open areas or spans.

Nothing wrong with my method as I to like darker marks but do not use the long ruler or tape method. it is difficult enough to get 2 trusses with marks in one shot. AS STATED BEFORE I have NEVER had problems with my marks and measurements.

LOL…just noticed that. Did they renail it Eric, :smiley:

I have given up the re-nail crusade…at least for wind mits…
The agents know far more than I when it comes to these inspections <sarcasam.

Mike,
I don’t try to get both trusses in the picture. I write A on one and B on the other. “Most” can figure it out.

Bertolami (72) (Custom).JPG

i take more pictures than I use in the report and try to show 2 trusses WHEN POSSIBLE with the ruler on the front and next pict the back. If I ever have a question I can show the other pictures. Sometimes it is way to tight to do it.

Since I hurt my shoulder, which actually occurred last year, I have decided that I am going to provide as much information as possible, with as little movement as possible! There is no need to take a picture showing two different trusses in the same picture.

Whenever possible, if I can get all of the information without stepping off of my ladder, that is how it will be done. Usually, you can get all of the measurements/findings needed.

As I said, I will be implementing a new method to prove nail length which will not require me to traverse the entire attic looking for a code violation, errr…shiner.

I am attempting to make this as safe as possible and certainly no more dangerous than doing a regular home inspection.

I must have missed that post but am very interested especially if I have to begin doing these inspections again. What is your plan?

On a side note just as I have been able to cut back on the pain meds somewhat Friday they are going back in. I assume the pain won’t be any worse than before but they will be breaking my big toe and removing 2 of the 9 pins from my heel. I imagine it will be min of 2 months before I can wear a closed shoe.

Maybe I will be able to use your new method by then :slight_smile:

If of course you share the process :slight_smile:

Just do not tell me you ordered the x-ray spex from the cereal box.

Don’t you crawl the entire attic for a home inspection anyway

I do not often. Most times I could not if I wanted to.

Put it this way, If I can walk them saftley I will I do not crawl them. maybe a spot here or there.

I walk the entire attic for a home inspection to look for deficiencies, which I then photograph. Rarely do I have to crawl to the bottom of the roof line to get a picture of a roof leak. Stating on an inspection report that a roof leak was observed at x area with damaged decking, then taking a picture of that area is enough.

On the other hand, for the wind mits, you need a clear picture, actually at least two, of the roof to wall connection, which may involve, removing insulation, crawling on your hands and knees, then, staying in an awkward position waiting to take an acceptable picture. There have been some instances where I have had to lay on my side, contorted around a truss, just to be in position to take a picture.

Since I started running, I have noticed that on a day after I perform an inspection, my running sucks! Especially on Tuesdays!

Sorry Mike, but my methods will remain mine until someone gets a look at one of my reports.
Depending on what happens near the end of the year, I may release my entire procedure for doing wind mitigation inspections.
One thing people need to understand is that I work backwards, from the report, which is the finished product, to getting the information that goes into the report.

Sort of like building a drag race car…you do not start with the engine, you start with the rear suspension.

Speaking of running…off for a quick five miles…