Spectora is Dropping Square

So, I just received the announcement that Spectora is dropping support for Square as payment processor. Your only choices moving forward will be to switch to Spectora’s payment processing or manual entry. I watched the announcement video (link) and their reasoning was essentially “we need the money” with some vague references to Square competing with Spectora. I really like Spectora, the product and company. But, this move makes me a bit nervous as now I will have even more eggs in one basket. Thoughts anyone?

Kevin, if you are listening, can you provide your InterNACHI users with a bit more information on how this helps us? What specifically is Square doing that works against home inspectors?

5 Likes

Sure, but you ain’t gonna like 'em!

Thought: What does this move by Spectora have in common with many other Report Software companies within the last few years (in particular)??

2 Likes

Customer: I like that Spectora is flexible and allows me to choose my credit card merchant services.
Spectora: Will inspectors leave us because of Square? AI algorithm says “Income generated from merchant services will over compensate for any inspector attrition”.

Everything in between is just noise :crazy_face:

9 Likes

Just a wild prediction but I’m willing to bet the next step is their payment processing rates will increase.

5 Likes

Fewer options is never a good thing.

If they did it because they need the money, you have to ask yourself, what’s next?

3 Likes

Sell out to Porch, or has that been done already?

6 Likes

How about you guys get your own payment processor (Square or whatever) and stop trying to “bundle” everything, which ultimately fails every single time…

If you like Square, use 'em. The hell with your report software’s business decision.

6 Likes

But it is so dang handy and easier when it is integrated. Not all of us have “office staff.”

3 Likes

Just add your Zelle email or phone into the initial booking email. Zelle is 100% free no fee’s at all. and Square is actually more expensive then most CC processing. You can also put your Zelle QR code into the email as well.

2 Likes

They must only be sending this out to those who use Square (obviously I suppose, lol). I use Spectora Payments and haven’t seen anything from Spectora about dropping Square.

Spectora Payments uses Stripe, which is very similar to Square. I am currently charged 2.78% plus 10 cents per transaction.

Oddly enough, I see Spectora is now advertising 3.25% + 40 cents per transaction. I checked my most recent transaction and I am still at the 2.78%.

So, they must be charging more for people just signing up now. Did they mention what rate you would get @bhoefer ?

1 Like

$$$$$$ commission check $$$$$$$$… :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :shushing_face:

4 Likes

Four mentions in that last post.

Ka-ching :moneybag:

2 Likes

You may as well get it while you still can, you never know when Porch might decide to buy them out! :rofl:

2 Likes

I don’t use square because they have issues with certain tools that I like to use.

1 Like

I know this is a bit unrelated, but incase it helps anyone out. Guardian, who ISN utilizes for payment processing is fairly reasonable. I’m locked in at 2.1% per CC transaction. They matched a rate we got from a local processor at that. So far so smooth, maybe another option for some folks. Met the local processor at a networking event.

I think if I ever stopped using my software’s integrated payments option, I would strongly consider switching to Paypal.

I have a business and a personal Paypal account currently. Paypal just sent an update about changes to the business account. It appears that clients will no longer need their own account to pay their bill using Paypal. That is a very nice benefit!

3 Likes

Are they removing the “guest” feature and now you can just click and go without an email?

2 Likes

I guess I’m not really sure. The snapshot above was from an email I received yesterday. I just figured prior to the change a person had to have their own account in order to make a payment. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

It’s been that way for ages.

When I send an invoice using PayPal to a client, they can pay with almost any form of payment, and have never needed their own account. I know this, because over the years clients have called and said they don’t have a PayPal account, and I tell them just click the link to pay with whatever card is in your hand.
And they do.

7 Likes

I am curious if this is what has actually changed, not the credit/debit portion.

1 Like