splices in breaker boxes

Originally Posted By: ddurrant
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I think I know the answer- but are splices allowed inside the panel box?

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

Yes, as long as they don’t fill the panel to more than 75% of the cross-sectional area…a feat, which in my opinion, would be impossible. See 312.8

Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

Ryan Jackson wrote:
Yes, as long as they don't fill the panel to more than 75% of the cross-sectional area...a feat, which in my opinion, would be impossible. See 312.8

I agree, imposable without the use of a sledge hammer to close the cover. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

75% is very full when talking about conductor fill.

Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: cbuell

what is cross sectional area. I see (for example) a 12-2wg wire that was too short so a short length of wire is wire-nutted on to reach the breaker. The amount that this wire nut fills up space seems insignificant. Am I missing something?

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

No your not missing anything, you are correct a few wire nuts will not bring up the fill significantly.

The cross sectional area is just a two dimensional measurement anywhere the splices are in the panel.

Lets say the space beside the breakers, might be 2" from breaker to panel edge and 3" from the back of the panel to the panel cover.

2" x 3" = 6" sq" of cross sectional area, wire nuts could fill 4.75 sq" of that particular spot.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Good example Bob, … and if you took the other 40% fill in the same rule, in the space found in a cabinet next to a panelboard, you could probably fit over 200 - 14 AWG wires and use that space as a raceway.

The actual rule, when first added to the code was developed to accommodate risers that were installed to and through common enclosures, where there were feeders run up to each panelboard in vertical runs.

The splice and the fill 75/40 % rules were the actual issue for the feeders.

As time passed we have accepted the use of splices in a panelboard.

If there were to be many splices of the branch circuits, because of a panel change out, I always installed a large junction box and ran a few 2 inch nipples and the splices were made in the J box, and the panel was rewired in a neat and workmanlike manner.

Hey Bob and Ryan, should we ask what is meant by neat and workmanlike?

![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm