How many splices in Panel

I was at a new home today and saw this crappy installation of the branch wiring (17 to 20 splices all crammed at the top of the panel). Is this something that you would write up? What would be the wording you would use if so? I tried to attach the picture but it was to big of a J-peg. If you know how to condense a j-peg file let me know and I will add it.

Thanks,

Spencer

Nothing wrong with splices in a panel.

Send me the pic and I’ll post it inspectorjeff@sbcglobal.net

Download software for pic reduction after that , by downloading any one of a number of free graphic programs.
PM me if you want help.

Here’s the picture. Talk about an abortion. . .

IMG_0771.JPG

It is not filling a significant part of the wiring space so it is “legal”. That sure looks like a screw up to me. They either left the wires short or had a copper theft and that was as high as the crack heads could reach.

"… splices, and taps shall not fill the wiring space at any cross section to more than 75 percent of the cross-sectional area of that space."

What is happening to the industry, and why are people accepting this lousy crap and poor method of bootleg jobs done by hacks and hop heads! :twisted:

Notice the main breaker at the “top” of the panel? Me either, did they install the panel upside down as well?

Not all MAIN are at the top of the panel here’s a Square D from the other day

Since most mains operate in a horizontal orientation there is no right side up or upside down.

If the feed enters below the panel it would make sense to install it main down. Less wire to purchase and less gutter space is used.

Here is a Cutler Hammer from a couple of weeks ago.

What about the conductor fill of the plastic conduit…looks more than 75%?

We would be concerned that the fill was greater than 40% and would have to show that Table 4 in the NEC Chapter 9 was complied with along with Table 5. This mess should be referred to a qualified electrician

What is the fill allowance for a splice?

Greg: The 40% fill in the pipe was where we were with this question, not the splice.

Is that even an electrical conduit?

If it is a water pipe then all this other is for nill cause the pipe must be replaced which would mean that the complete installation would be addressed.

Also there should be a bushing on the end of the pipe which again would address the splices.

This looks like a 312.5©ex

Joe, without knowing how long the raceway/nipple is I would not vote on fill yet. I would be more concerned with derating if this is over 24".
Is it sealed at the top, are the cables secured properly, where is the 6mm of jacket in the box?
Of all of these, derating is the most important. Just look at the picture Marc posted of the bundled Romex.
The thing about fill is you need to take an oval cable as a circle, using the widest dimension so it fills up a pipe pretty fast.

Joe
The first picture may not look pretty, but pretty is not a code requirement.
Pictures can be deceiving, so it is not easy to tell if the 40% fill has been exceeded…it may have been, I think it is a close call the way it looks to be filled, but a calculation would have to be performed.

Yes, a couple of the cables do not have the required measurement of sheathing, and the PVC fitting is missing a bushing, but this install looks like it may come pretty close to being compliant. The splices are close to being 75%, but how can one tell from the photo?

I would say the contractor may be able to slip a little more sheathing into the panel enclosure, that would leave only the bushing as an issue.

Remember, we do not inspect for personal taste, but minimum code compliance.

Not true! See 110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work.

Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner.

FPN: Accepted industry practices are described in ANSI/NECA 1-2006, Standard Practices for Good Workmanship in Electrical Contracting, and other ANSI-approved installation standards.

… and all new fledgling inspectors must be aware of the possible hazards, a picture is certainly not enough, and if there was a field inspection I am sure we would find more problems.

The use of that “sleeve” is concealed is not allowed either and is not what the exception in 312 considers.

I’m no master electrican, but I have bent some pipe and pulled more than a few wires. When I see something like this I recommend the customer have the electrical system checked by a qualified electrican. My way of thinking is if the electrian did this there may be other problems hidden inside boxes etc… that go far beyond the scope of a home inspection. I do explain that thier may or may not be problems with the system but that what I see is a un professional installation.

Mark Jones

Isn’t there anything on the number of twists that a conductor can have to??

I would think at some point the mechanical process of twisting solid wire with that number of turns would weaken them considerably as well.
Sloppy work to say the least.