Spontaneous Hail Damage

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I got a call last week from a chap just about 2 miles down the road from me. He said he had a new roof put on about 3 - 3 1/2 years old that leaked in the same two places every year, and every year he called the roofer out to fix it. This year the guy comes out and says, “You’ve got hail damage, that’s what’s causing the leaking now. You need a new roof, but your insurance should cover it.”

Well he didn't think that was right, and niether did the insurance agent. Hail? Here? I've been here 43 years and only seen hail ONCE. The agent told him to get a home inspector to look at it and get back to him. So I look, and to no ones surprize there's no such thing, and the places where he's been putting the tar every year are plain as day (chimney and rake wall flashings). A further check of the county code in effct at the time found that he should have replaced the flashing as part of the recovering, and about 3 or 4 other things were not up to snuff. I wrote it up and turned it in.

Monday the roofer called, barking and growling that I had said he didn't know what he was doing, that the roof clearly had hail damage, that he didn't build the damned house, blah, blah, blah. I was polite but firm, always the best policy. At one point he claimed a factory rep had looked at it and agreed it was hail damage. I said "Okay, give me his name and number and I'll call him." "Well....that wouldn't do any good, blah, blah, blah." Right. Then he says another pro of some sort is coming to check it out, so I offered to meet them over there. "If you can show me where anything in that report is not true, I'll retract whatever it is", says I. "Fine" he says, "The guy will be here next week, I'll call you." Naturally I called the client and told him what was said.

Yesterday the client called me. The roofer had called him and agreed to fix everything in the report, up to code.

I love my job. As one of my fellow inspectors says, "We get paid to tell the truth". The best thing about telling the truth is, you have nothing to fear. Nothing.

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

Except , maybe being pushed off the roof, icon_wink.gif

This Ole House-Home Inspections

William A. Campbell TREC # 6372

Serving the Texas Coastal Bend

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Except , maybe being pushed off the roof,

I guess I'll have to keep that in mind if it ever comes up again. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

I know of a couple of Texas Windstorm Inspectors who against their wishes took an unexpected flight off a roof. Of course if you had ever had dealings with Texas Windstorm, then you would undestand why. icon_wink.gif

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

I thought you meant the hostile roofer. icon_twisted.gif

I did, Why do you think that the flight was against their wishes?? icon_lol.gif

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Okay, I gotta ask. Just exactly what is a Texas Windstorm Inspector? It sounds like they judge the quality of the windstorm. icon_wink.gif

Texas Windstorm is the branch of the Texas Department of Insurance that covers the counties on the Coastal Bend. Down here we have a more ridgid building code than the rest of the State.

http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/company/rswscode.html

--
(361) 727-0602 (home)
(361) 727-0055 (office)
(361) 229-4103 (cell)