Square D - Split Bus Panel

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek

I’m not sure about this so bear with me. I don’t believe SQD ever made a split bus panel. In fact if they did I hardly think they would have done it that way. This appears more like a jury rig than anything else. It also looks like the main buss does continue down the panel and into what you are referring to the split buss area. When you turn the 50 amp breaker off, do the bottom breakers go dead? Nevertheless, what this looks like to me is someone’s handy work. If SQD actually manufactired this panel to be that way, I’d really be surprised. If anything…it should be replaced for it is quite misleading and if it is a split bus, that should be enough reason right there to upgrade it. It could be and this is far fetched, but it could be that because they did not have the 6 breaker rule, they merely adapted the panel to make that versus upgrading. I could be totally wrong here and I am going to investigate this with my SQD contacts. Sumthin just doeasn’t look right about that panel!!

This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek

Igor…

Gonna have to agree with you on this one. I did some checking today with some older. fellow sparkies and my SQD contacts and no one could concur that SQD ever made a split bus panel. However, that does not mean they did not and taking the info you provided into consideration, I would say....they did it. Them fools manufactured a split bus panel ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) and did so very poorly!!! Kind of sets me back a bit now with SQD for it is my panel of choice to install. Just goes to show you...nothing is sacred anymore!!! Regardless of the fact that I now think the reason it is called Square D is because their egineers have Square heads , SQD is still a top notch panel and I will continue to install them over GE, ITE, Murray, and definitely over Challenger. In fact I refuse to even think about installing a Challenger panel. Anyway good post....I learned something here...not a first and surely not a last but still...a good post.

--
This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Igor,

Not enough information to state what the rating is.

Well, except that, as you stated, the panel was rated at 125 amp max.

What was the size of the service entrance conductors? I can't tell from the photos.

It the service entrance conductors have a lower rating than the 125 amp panel, then the lower rating is the size.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida