Stackable washer and dryer in the kitchen?

So when this is the only way to vent unless they buy a condensing unit all you can do is recommend a condensing unit.
I think as an inspector we are part consultant and should make recommendations based on what what is practical and warn of possible consequence.

Often they will have no intention of replacement where venting is not possible so the best action is to also instruct them to keep the pan full of water and to vacume the rear often.
These devises always have lots of loose lint particulates around them and need to be mounted in position.

Just report what you see, make your recommendations and if they want to stick the family cat on the end of the vent hose I could care less. I did not take these people on to raise.

Sorry Bob - my bad -

“IRC M1501.1 General. Dryer exhaust systems shall be independent of all other systems, shall convey the moisture to the outdoors and shall terminate on the outside of the building.”

Exception included since 2003.
“Exception. This section shall not apply to listed and labeled condensing (ductless) clothes dryers.”

1.My question to you is what happens to the water collection trap?
2.What happens to the water that escapes the trap.

Personally, I believe that all exhaust from dryers should evacuate outside.
Mine does and this is what I recommend).

When my wife and I bought our bungalow, the sellers were proud to show us that they were recuperating humidity and heat (for years) they were saving on Heat as they were putting old pantyhoses on the dryer outlet and venting in the basement.

Needless to say that we corrected the issue and have been venting to the outside eversince.

Our air quality has improved, our four kids are healthy and the home heating bill has shrunk quite a bit!

Unless you can safely exchange and save heat, I would tell you to vent outside.

This is my Brossard-Quebec-Canada (CMI) and home owner point of view and I gladly share it with my NACHI inspectionboard members and visiting poeple I care for.:slight_smile:

OK thanks.
That does not apply in Chicago where several highrises are using the water traps.
I doubt the residents are going to be searching for coin laundry mats anytime soon.

IRC M1502.1** General**. Dryer exhaust systems shall be independent of all other systems,and shall convey the moisture to the outdoors.
Exception: this section shall not apply to listed and labeled (ductless) cloths dryers

Now back to the real world.

Dryer in question is not ductless.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachments/f11/42931d1299979609t-stackable-washer-and-dryer-kitchen-imag2435.jpg