Stacked up post????

Originally Posted By: kleonard
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Originally Posted By: tgardner

Awwww, C’mon Kevin! you just don’t want to admit that like 85% of the rest of us HIs, you weigh 380#s and are claustrophobic. icon_eek.gif

HMSL, tg

Originally Posted By: lwilliams

Was there any signs of movement inside the home? Cracked walls/ceiling, sloped/uneven floors?

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Kevin,

I have seen much better looking piers in that type of situation, and would certainly have liked to have seen all of the elements mortared together, but unless I'm mistaken it does appear to be on a fairly substantial footing. and is showing no signs of movement that I can detect in the photograph.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: dbush

Kevin, I see those like that quite often. Like Gerry said, there does not appear to be any signs of movement. Those are better than 1/2 of what I see in a normal crawlspace. They are built up, ensure you don’t have any wood in areas there should not be for contact, etc. and they work fine.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: kleonard

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Kevin,

I like that block & brick support, compared to my Home Inspection yesterday. This 80 year old home was at Revere Beach. I crawled into the 4 foot crawl space and noticed that someone had recently installed four vertical 1x6 planks as support posts that were used to hold up two 8x8 wooden beams that were supporting the floor joists in that area.

On the opposite side of the crawlspace I observed three wooden 4x4 support post that appeared to be crooked. So I crawled over to see why these support posts weren't level. I pushed the end 4x4 post to see if it had a loose footing, and the entire length of the 25 foot beam on top of this support was able to be moved back and forth. This support beam was not even touching the floor joists. It was more or less just sitting there balancing.
If I had pushed on this post any harder, the entire beam would have toppled to the floor. I wish I had brought my camera yesterday.
These serious defects would have been great Structure photos.![](upload://8uhMKq2iUhQT8GJfCpoANBElpX4.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: roconnor

… only kidding. What, no bug spray with ya that day?

You do want to be careful with those piers cause some are Harry Homeowner specials to "fix" a flexible floor that are not on a footing or adequately connected, which will most likely settle and shift over time.

Hack shims between the girder and pier are a clue that it was added ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Larry L Leesch

It appears in the picture that the shims are a 2x4 and a 1x4 which would total 2 1/4" of shims. In my area, 2" is max and 24"x24"x4" footings are required when using blocks. Might want to check local standards before issuing report.