Starter shingles at ridge vent

Would you guys make a big deal about this? Small section of shingles at the ridge vent looks like they may be starter shingles. Roofer prob ran out of shingles, and finished with these?
Only 3 years old, but didnt know if they are prone to wear out faster when exposed.

1 Like

They could just be ridge shingles of a different brand, color, size, etc… I would note it but not make too big a deal of it, unless there was an issue with it or evidence of leaks.
Could have been a DIY repair also…

3 Likes

Interestingly, they used a 4-inch offset with the three tab shingles. I have not seen this before, so I googled it, and it is an acceptable application. :thinking:

3 Likes

That was my original thought, but they are smaller, and a much rougher texture.
Thanks

Thanks. I’ve seen a few times, but obviously not as common.

1 Like

The inspector polishing off a beer on the roof? Yes, that is a big deal!

18 Likes

Ha! you caught me!

2 Likes

Things like this suck since we all know it will NEVER be a problem but the next guy can get everyone fired up and call you out. I’d probably note it and say it’s unorthodox and to monitor? (I HATE that recommendation but what else is there in this case?).

9 Likes

I agree with Michael.

1 Like

I’m in the same camp as Matt. A phrase I like to use in this type of situation is “non-standard practice that may not be reliable over time.”

5 Likes

Yep. The buyer and seller were both there, and I mentioned it as a “possible problem, but not likely”, and the buyer said "my inspector didn’t even mention it! "…

1 Like

I agree with others, that it’s cosmentic only. Maybe the person who installed the roof owned the house at the time, it was Uncle Tony who installed it for dinner and a 12 pack, or the buyer got a discount because the roofer ran out of the right colored shingles, and even though it appears cosmetic, I wouldn’t pay full price for that.

He wasn’t wrong in my opinion.

3 Likes

The only one that can verify if they are cap shingles or starter shingles is the inspector on the roof,

4 Likes

I failed to mention it is a 2020 manufactured home… and the seller knew nothing about it, so it was likely original.

1 Like

On shake roofs several times I’ve seen the ridge caps and tarpaper fall away and I’m able to see directly into the attic. Surprisingly from inside the attic there may be a bit of debris and insulation matting but no leakage inside. The amount of rain that just flies in is actually pretty minor in the big picture. It’s the collection lower on the roof and in the valleys that really causes the big problems. Same reason crickets on chimneys near the ridge and not nearly as important IMO.

1 Like

The manufacturers skrimp on materials to the point that the last 6’ of baseboard has to go in in 4 pieces to tie it together. :wink: :roll_eyes:

One would think it would be visible evertime you look at the house from the street.

Like other issues, I look at it as a detail - tells a little about the guy who did it. The fact that he did this and left it - was he satisfied that this was the best he could do? It would make me look closer for other details… If this is the only issue, I would still mention it, but maybe as a cosmetic issue…

3 Likes