Steel Floor Joists

Originally Posted By: ryoung2
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Steel Floor Joists ]

Originally Posted By: Monte Lunde

Doors - If there is not a screen door, then the doors being bowed could be caused by the exposure to the different elements and the finish or paint weathered before repainting or finishing was completed.

Floor Joists - The floor squeak's because of joist wood being dried out. The squeak is nails being loosen from the flooring and joists. These squeak's can be fixed by setting a screw at the squeak point.

The subflooring shifts, is this condition all thru out the upstairs flooring or is in located in certain areas? The joists clips could have pulled loose in that area, because of a heavy load placed on that joists or joists. Like a California King water bed.

What is the dead load over the cracks in ceiling of the first floor? If the cracks are under the area of the squeaks on the second floor than it could caused by the drying out of the lumber or a heavy load on the joists.

--
Monte Lunde CCI, CCPM, CRI
Viking Construction Services Inc.

Originally Posted By: ryoung2

I see I mispoke a little in my description because the french doors do not exit onto just a deck, but it is a deck that has been converted into a screen porch. Therefore, the doors do not get any direct sunlight but do get whatever moisture that comes into the porch.

The shifting of the subfloor is in the middle of the upstairs bedrooms and there has been no siginificant loads in the area that I can determine.

The cracks in the downstairs ceiling are in the main foyer and on a load bearing wall which becomes part of one of the upstairs bedroom walls. I don't see any excess load at any point.