Steel post question

There’s nothing wrong with recommending upgrades or repairs.

I agree.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

In the case of adjustable columns you really need to do some research and check the listing/approval and do some rough calcs in order to make a correct call.

Some are approved for heights as little as 4’ and others are approved for heights up to like 9’ … some of the ones with approvals for 7’ to 9’ have a higher capacity, and some have a much lower capacity which may not work for even supporting one level at typical column spacing. It really depends on the steel thickness and configuration. There is no way to definitively tell just doing a visual examination.

If you recommend upgrades/repairs where they may not be needed and the client gets a second opinion from an engineer (I have done a number of them where it was just flagged to have it looked at), or a savvy contractor who is not just out to milk them and knows what conditions the particular type is okay for, you could end up with egg on your face.

So for an HI it’s my opinion the best course of action with suspect adjustable columns is to flag it for further evaluation … and if you feel strongly about it you can always flag it for evaluation by an SE and also recommend budgeting for repairs.

JMO & 2-nickels … :wink:

When was the last year for BOCA certified steel columns were made or sent out;)

Need immediate response

Then don’t post in an 8 year old tread!