Stepping into attic causes crack

Ceiling crack likely caused by someone stepping on the drywall. Makes sense to me as I looked in attic and see the attic platform does not extend to edge or past door edge entering the attic. 11 month warranty inspection and builder previously told client that client is the one that stepped on the ceiling and thus they are not going to fix it. I pointed out to client that it really doesn’t matter who stepped on it, because it probably likely was going to happen because the platform doesn’t extend, etc. I called it out in my report safety hazard doesn’t extend, etc, etc., but I was looking for something more “IRC related” if you will, to throw it on the builders since they didn’t install that platform where it needed to be in the first place. Any suggestions?

Why did it need to be there?..was there an appliance up there?

1 Like

Yes. Furnace/air handler.

1 Like

This help?:

Or, this?:

1 Like

Here is my narrative for the type situation you described:

Missing or inadequate walkway to equipment in attic.
Current building standards require a minimum 24 inch wide solid floor complete from attic entrance to equipment for servicing & routine maintenance.
We recommend having a qualified carpenter install a pathway of appropriate size (min. 24 inches wide) from the attic entrance to the appliance.
Reference: IRC Section 1305.1.3 Appliances in attics

2 Likes

Certainly. Typically anything you post is helpful Larry. Thank you!

2 Likes

Don’t forget the:

Service area:
Level, at least 30 inches deep and 30 inches wide, on all sides of appliance where access is required.

1 Like

Very good Brandon. I didn’t key in on the dimensions regarding pathway, Most helpful. Thank you.

1 Like

Yep, that is a separate narrative for situations with both offenses.

Missing or inadequate service deck for equipment in attic
Equipment work platform does not meet current building requirements, which specify that a clear unobstructed passageway with solid flooring at least 24inches wide and a 30 inch work platform must be provided in front of all equipment for servicing & routine maintenance.

We recommend having a qualified carpenter install a service deck of appropriate size (min. 30 inches) in front of the appliance.

Reference: IRC Section 1305.1.3 Appliances in attics

2 Likes

My pleasure!

1 Like

I should have known you’d have it down, Brandon. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Getting there, Larry, getting there! :+1:

I agree that it’s kind of stupid to not have the full entrance way sheathed, but is the width of the walkway really less than 24 inches? If I’m not mistaken, you actually have more than 24 inches of walkway in front of the door opening based on the nail lines. If it is at least 24 inches, then, you’ll likely have to find another code section.

And you may want to refrain from citing the code in a report, and referencing best practice, however when talking to the builder it wouldn’t hurt.

2 Likes

Good idea, Brandon. Thank you. My impression from the client is the builder is a tad difficult, which I understand. The builder is not going to do anything more than he has to or can slide by on. Lol.

True, Yu! Hey that rhymes! I mean really it’s an accident waiting to happen for some one to step on the sheetrock.

I See this quite often. If you get a lazy framer they may just let the deck/plank run random past a truss, which is an inherent hazard. I’m guessing that the damage was directly to the left of the platform and they really should have, in my mind extended it at least as far as the door threshold or footprint. Not sure if a code is going to address that particular issue as long as it meets the requirements for the actual workspace. But yes sure would have been better if it were extended But whoever stepped on it where there was clearly no solid walkway, just visible insulation bears most of the responsibility–IMO

We did insulation for many years and we just did not trust platforms or planks. Way to many times they just were not safe to walk on or trust. “Trusses only” became the rule.

Just like roofs, only qualified people should be entering attics. Many homeowners have no idea that they cant just walk on drywall.

2 Likes

Lonnie … as a code inspector NOTHING says it has to be centered.

Talk safety, etc OR you’ll get hosed on this

1 Like

Absolutely! I did give it the ole safety comment.

Hmmmmm? Interesting! Makes sense.