Strange configuration adjacent to main shut-off

That was my first thought, and tried deciphering it out… but left with no hard facts, just assumptions.

2 Likes

Jeffrey, look at you zooming and enhancing! You’re like CSI Redi-Rooter! I actually can identify that as a fairly inexpensive hose sprayer. I wish I were able to give you something better to sink your teeth into.

1 Like

Ok, let me just phrase it like this… Would I be on solid ground recommending that a professional come evaluate an unorthodox layout? If nothing else, that extra loop is right next to where the rolling trash cans barrel perilously close to.

Still spit balling here. Perhaps this was connected to a now removed component, such as filtration system. The saddle valves allowed some water by when the component was isolated for maintenance.

2 Likes

Right, conjure up enough concerns to transfer liability.
Saddle valves
Pipe support
Prone to mechanical damage
etc. etc.

2 Likes

Ok, I can definitely see that. Should I perceive that you don’t think its continued presence poses a reportable risk to a homeowner?

The opposite. I see things that can fail either due to mechanical damage or old saddle valves. I would then mention the configuration is unconventional.

1 Like

Also… is that grounding/bonding conductor “coming out of the wall” or has it been cut-off from a now missing component??

2 Likes

Yeah, once I wrote that, I understood exactly what you meant, and it confirmed what my instincts were, but my damn wife is a lawyer, so I can be paranoid.

2 Likes

Also, throw some back on the seller. Recommend the client ask the seller for more information.

2 Likes

Also adding in the unknown ‘electrical’ considerations (if any).

2 Likes

I was thinking that the saddle valves were to prevent vapor lock?

2 Likes

That’s some good thinkin’.

2 Likes

What in that small loop is going to lock?

2022-06-15_233157

2 Likes

No, I definitely looked for that but the whole thing is dicey in its proximity to the panel and the now-defunct tv and phone connections. That said, when I first saw it out of the corner of my eye, for a second I perceived the tubing to be wire and the saddle valve to be a grounding clamp.

1 Like

Buyer made it really clear when I pointed out the Challenger panel that this housing market wasn’t really the place to be nit-picky, so I’ll cover my exposure and leave it to them to contact a plumber.

1 Like

Okay…so what is your narrative? Keep in mind, you cannot use the term “thingy”.

3 Likes

I think that’s a legal term in California. He should have his wifey review his narratives! :wink:

Oh, you can, but you “should not”…

3 Likes

You’re really tying my hands here, Brian! I’ll tell them that the copper loop complex adjacent to the main shut-off is not well-supported, is in a high traffic area and does not appear to serve any affirmative purpose, but they should consult a certified plumber about what the preferrable options are.

1 Like

So, bottom line, what did we learn today?

A: When confronted with the unusual curiosity… take as many photo’s and from as many angles as possible. This isn’t the 80’s where we wasted money on film and developing or Polaroid Instamatic film. Digital is cheap and virtually free!

2 Likes