Student Discussion: 25 Standards Every Inspector Should Know Course

This thread on the InterNACHI Community Forum is dedicated exclusively to students currently enrolled in the 25 Standards Every Inspector Should Know Course

Students may:

• ask any questions,
  • interact with other students,
  • do research within this course thread, and
  • join the discussion.
3 Likes

Hello supper excited to get started

Taking 25 standards every inspector should know

The course material for Standard 1 states:

“3. The service panel is not allowed to be located inside a bathroom, over stairs, or inside a clothes closet.”

Does anyone know whether this restriction also applies to sub panels or only the service panel?

Thank you.

1 Like

Just starting the # 25 Standards Every Inspector Should Know Course!

Does someone have a picture of whatever the heck this is trying to describe…

“glazing in an individual fixed or operable panel adjacent to a door where the nearest vertical edge is within a 24-inch arc of the door in a closed position, and whose bottom edge is less than 60 inches above the floor or walking surface”

This is in reference to safety glass.

I think my brain must be too tired to visualize this.

This thread on the InterNACHI Community Forum is dedicated exclusively to students currently enrolled in the 25 Standards Every Inspector Should Know Course

Students may:

• ask any questions,
  • interact with other students,
  • do research within this forum thread, and
  • join the discussion.

The forum is monitored according to our guidelines.

2 Likes

This is definitely one of defining course moment as the 25 standards encompasses so much of what we have already learned… it almost feels like a midterm to the entire training and a great reference for the future.

5 Likes

According to the studies for the T&P valve from the water heater, it notes the following:
“The pipe should discharge through an air gap located in the same room as the water heater.”

Is there an example of this requirement? What if it discharges outside?

2 Likes

I have actually witness the failure of these valves. When it went off we thought the house was on fire. The steam coming out of the room was such that you could hardly tell what was going on. I know that many say you need to see what is going on, but I am guessing most of them have not witnessed this type of failure, if the TPR is discharging, the steam and water is going to be noticeable outside.

1 Like

@jluera I like to refer to the code commentary and the illustrations in the IRC. For example, here’s an illustration that shows an airgap for the TPR valve discharge pipe.

1 Like

Can the discharge pipe from the TRP be connected to any drainage outside? Even perforated garden pipe/downspout?

@jwood39 It doesn’t seem like it. But maybe. There are 14 requirements for the discharge pipe of a TPR valve of a hot water tank according to the international residential code. You can check it out.

I really enjoy this course. It’s a great overview of everything I’ve learned in the previous courses, and it really drives home the steps and methods of the 80 hours of field training. I will use these 25 standards as a daily reference.

1 Like

Inspection and Writing Assignment:
In the attached inspection photo, we see what appears to be negative drainage at the rear right corner of the dwelling. The slope away from the house drops approximately 2 inches over 4 feet before it meets with the slope from the backyard. Also at this area, there is a down spout that goes into an underground drain pipe. I am not able to determine where that pipe terminates.
Other potential factors of improper drainage observed at this area include cracking of the corner masonry pier (visible in the photo) and standing water on the vapor barrier around the masonry pier in the crawlspace. Other areas observed to have improper drainage include the length of the entire rear of the dwelling, where the slope is approximately 2 inches over 8 feet at best before meeting the slope from the backyard, with areas of evidence of standing surface water and vegetation against the foundation.
I recommend further evaluation and correction by a qualified contractor for site grading and drainage.

1 Like

If a hot water tank is in a garage that is below the house grade, could the TPR just discharge onto the concrete floor as long as it is no more than 6" above the ground? There is no drainage in the garage other than water draining to the front of the garage and out to the driveway. I imagine this would be ok since there is no risk of structural damage.

1 Like

I have seen them several times in second and third floor condos where they are piped outside due to the lack of floor drains in the dwelling. They were originally constructed that way.

1 Like

Hey, @jspears6. Yep. The pipe should discharge to the floor, to an indirect waste receptor, or to the outdoors. In that situation, it might be best to discharge outside, since the garage floor is below grade level. Right? But if the garage floor is sloped, toward the vehicle door, then that’s probably the idea from the builder, that the discharged water would find its way under the garage door and drain outside.

1 Like

This is the first NACHI class I’ve taken. I’m mainly interested in gaining knowledge with a possibility of seeking certification in the future. I am a construction management student and I felt as though the information found on the site would benefit me. If anyone has any tips on courses that I should be looking into I would greatly appreciate it, I figured this class would work as a good starting place.

I have a question on a Final Exam question for the 25 Standards coures. One of the exam questions was,“The size of a P-trap drainpipe should be at least _______ inches.” I believe they say the correct answer is 1-1/2". However, I think that the exam question omits an important qualifier. The 25 Standards course does specify that a P-trap should be at least 1-1/2" inches, BUT SPECIFICALLY IN THE KITCHEN ISLAND SECTION (FOR KITCHEN ISLAND DRAIN SYSTEMS). It does not specify a minimum 1-1/2" P-trap for every plumbing fixture…the way the exam question seems to imply. In fact you can go to home depot today and purchase 1-1/4" P-traps and my understanding is that they would be fine to install as long as your drain line and sink drain are sized accordingly. So my question is…should the exam question read, “For kitchen island drain plumbing, the size of the P-trap drainpipe should be at least ____ inches.”? OR IS THIS CORRECT…THAT THE SIZE OF A P-TRAP DRAINPIPE SHOULD BE AT LEAST 1-1/2" FOR ALL PLUMBING FIXTURE DRAIN SYSTEMS?