Sub-panel or disconnect?

Originally Posted By: bsmith
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/D/DSCF0006.JPG ]

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: jpope

You are correct Bill - grounds and neutrals need to be seperate at load side equipment. It doesn’t really matter what you are calling it.

The EGC's should be bonded to the box and the neutrals should be isolated or removed.

Originally Posted By: bsmith

Thanks Jeff - I love it when I’m right! (It doesn’t happen that often) icon_lol.gif

Quote:
NEC 408.20 Grounding of Panelboards

Grounding conductors shall not be connected to a terminal bar provided for grounded conductors (may be a neutral) unless the bar is identified for the purpose and is located where interconnection between equipment grounding conductors and grounded circuit conductors is permitted or required by Article 250.

Originally Posted By: rbennett

Jeff

Not a trick question but how are the contractors getting around this with the "fused disconnect" for AC compressors that are 240 volt and they are feeding them with just three wires -- one black - one white and a ground --no external ground is supplied to the ac unit.

I would think that a 4 wire feed would be required -- neutral and ground would be separated. One does not know how the HVAC company that was the Mfg of the unit built it -- is it all 240 volt and the ground is just for the case or is it a mixture of 120 on one side for the fan and 120 on the other side for the compressor?? Same for a 240 volt large window unit.

BTW this is the norm in this area so it must be correct (three wire)

Your thoughts please sir

rlb

A single 240 volt, single phase circuit (typical condenser circuit) can be run with three conductors with one being the equipment grounding conductor (EGC). With the alternating current, one conductor will act as the neutral while the other is hot.

Thank you for the reply

I agree but about the question above about the dryer?? Is this not the same wiring?

If we took the pig tail off and hard wired it in would this change the wiring??

I have a similar question about garbage disposals --- in our area the are being wired with a plug. Thus wire does not have to be protected.

Waiting

rlb

Clothes dryers are specifically addressed by the NEC.

The grounded conductor (neutral) can be grounded to the grounding conductor (ground) if certain requirements are met which would allow for a three wire, 240 volt circuit. (NEC 250.140)

Otherwise a separate grounding conductor is required as per 250.134

As for the disposal, that is a 120 volt appliance. What's the question?

I looked back at my post and I can see the question

1. About the garbage D -- If hard wired "protected wiring" is required -- If on a plug wire it can be "plug in grade wire" -- Also I would think that it would not be required to be on a dedicated ckt and it should be GFI protected. Remember that the SS sink is floating electrically on plastic pipes in most new homes and a real electrical ground is probably with in feet ie stove, toaster etc. I know that this is a little off the thread but sure would like your thoughts

2. The real question is the difference between a drier and an AC unit one is 4 wire and the other is 3 wire with the disconnect called a sub panel and the other called a disconnect.

3. I realize that the above is more for knowledge than anything that we can do at a site to challenge the "experts" but it is good to know

thanks again

rlb

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

If this was wired pre 96 code you will be able to use the dryer/range exception for using the grounded conductor as the equipment ground.

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Virtually all AC condensers will not require a grounded conductor be brought to the equipment, only the equipment grounding conductor since there is no line to neutral load.

That is the same as the NEMA 6-15 and 6-20 receptacles that only take 3 prong plugs

What about today??

Greg

So if we know that the device is 240 volt we only have to run a ground

If it uses some 120 Volts on one side of the line and 120 loads on the other side of the line then it should be a 4 wire ckt

And how do we know because the device will work no matter how it is wired?

Major concern is the AC unit wired with three wires and stove plugs with 4 wires

Is it a subpanel or a disconnect point (ground and neutral commoned)

Maybe this is a local issue and there is a basic misunderstanding of ohm's law

rlb