Support brackets for deck

The deck is about 12’ long. It is built with 2x12 PT and sits atop 4x12 engineered carrying beam. The beams sit on top of 6x6 PT posts.

The problem I see, is the carrying beams are only toe nailed to the support posts, I understand the joists will hold the beam from moving back and forth from the wall, but I am concerned with the set-up. I think the posts and carrying beams should be secured togather with a steel strap. I know it would be more secure this way, but is it necessary?

They used brackets in the basement, but I guess the deck didn’t deserve them.

Also, the joists, as stated above are 2x12 which I think is a framing overkill, but JMO, the joist hangars appear to be for a 2x8, is this something which should be noted as well? The house is only about 3 years old.

Input is appreciated.

IMG_73135.JPG

IMG_72065.JPG

IMG_72095.JPG

Why is there no flashing under the ledger board?

http://www.flash.org/resources/files/HGCC_Fact23.pdf

Hi Scott, are you sure those are 2X12s, hard to tell in the picture but looks like 2X10s to me. In the second picture, the support post should have a shoulder cut in it so the beam actually sits into it and should be through bolted to secure it. In the first picture I can see some copper flashing, does it continue throughout the entire deck?

Good call on your part.

Carl, the page you pointed to describes flashing for coastal construction (excellent info), whether it would be the same for here I do not know, but to answer your question, no there is no flashing behind the ledger board.

Hi Peter,

They are 2x12, I was shocked when I saw them. The copper does wrap all the way around, I was equally shocked to see that. Would the shoulder cut have been sufficient? There are 2 other sections like this.

Scott,

It should be that way everywhere! Imo Just makes sense!

Scott, hard to tell from the pictures but some sort of shoulder cut with through bolts or a bracket like that shown in the basement.

Also, if the deck was framed with 2X12s then it seems to me that I most likely would have used 6X6s for the support post, this would allow me enough room to make a decent shoulder cut and the bolt the beam to the post.

That LVL beam needs to be made for wet conditions of use…no way to tell that from the photos. A standard interior LVL will not live very long when used exposed to weather and water.

Excellent obsevation, as you said, tough to see in the pictures.

I was wondering why anyone would use a LVL for a deck beam?

Scott

The shoulder cut looks like this.

6 x 6 post notched wide enough to support the thickness of the beam (3" if using double 2 x’s) and deep enough to support the height. Also I didn’t see any tie downs for the joists (some areas require them), a good idea to use them if it’s not required.

alan

Carl:
Over the last 2 +1/2 weeks, I have been consulting on a water entry/severe rot problem on a 9 month old $800,000 home. 3 stories of a wall facing the ocean are being stripped/re-sheathed as I write. Found this one when doing some net research a week ago. I am demanding that the builder use the above details when re-installing the deck. That’s a good one and I would recommend it everywhere!

Brian

Yep, Carl comes up with some great info and links to prove it.

A real credit to our industry!

There were no tie downs or strapping or any type of steel bracing at all. I know the builder (who recently passed at 57 yrs old) and was pretty disappointed when I saw this.

quote=sfalvey]
…the carrying beams are only toe nailed to the support posts… I know it would be more secure this way with straps], but is it necessary?
[/quote]

Modern framing often calls for hardware in that situation. In real life, there’ve been many thousands built like this, the post is in compression, barring an earthquake or major flood it’s not going anywhere. I wouldn’t call it.

quote=sfalvey]They used brackets in the basement, but I guess the deck didn’t deserve them.
[/quote]

Those basement brackets would have been called out by a structural engineer in the original plans and they’re supporting a lot more weight than the posts and girder supporting the exterior deck. Different situations.

quote=sfalvey]Also, the joists, as stated above are 2x12 which I think is a framing overkill, but JMO, the joist hangars appear to be for a 2x8
[/quote]

Input is appreciated.
[/quote]

Very common to install hangers for the next joist size down. LU28 for 2x10, LU 26 for 2x8, etc. They used proper fasteners and filled all the holes. This looks fine to me.

Call the missing flashing, though.