Tallahassee - Ride along

Good morning,

I’m looking to try and burn in some experience on my belt when it comes to a current inspectors processes currently used here in Florida, specifically the Tallahassee area.
If someone is willing to take me up under their wing and allow me to follow along and soak up some information, maybe allow me to get my hands dirty and ask some relevant questions I would love to jump in.
I’m not green in the construction scene and I’m not scared of learning anything new. I’m Just looking for someone who is willing to share their processes and experience and knowledge with a young guy looking to get involved beyond just the educational format. I’m in the processes of scheduling for my state exam at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Mathew, you may want to contact some CMIs or CPIs within 40 to 50 miles, or closer, to your area and communicate with them. Maybe one, or more, will help you. Some inspectors feel as though they are training their competition by ride-alongs or mentoring or hiring.

Here is the link for CMIs: Find a Certified Master Inspector®

And the link for CPIs: Find Certified Home Inspectors Near You - InterNACHI®

And Mentors: Home Inspector Mentoring - InterNACHI® and InterNACHI® - International Association of Certified Home Inspectors

Also, you may want to take advantage of your Education Team at education@internachi.org for specific questions e.g. https://www.nachi.org/become-home-inspector.htm and InterNACHI® Master Class for Home Inspectors . And there is the new training cards app Chris Morrell, InterNACHI’s CEO, offers: New training app for home inspectors

And there is the Helpful How-To Videos - InterNACHI® for many other things.

And, read the forum for much information.

P.S. Welcome to our forum. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Not sure if he still does ride along, but @rlewis5 used to give many ride alongs. He is in Gainsville area.

1 Like

Thanks for the response Larry, I can understand that some would indeed be training a form of competition, but I know there are also those that are out to “share the wealth” so to say when mentoring or providing ride-alongs. Which is more of the individual I am more into looking to learn from vs going in “raw” with the education I have and not being able to providing the best service to my clients because I didnt learn “more”.

Hopefully some one will reply thats interested in assisting and if not I will take what you provided here and look to reach out.

Now in contacting a cpi or cmi what is it exactly they would possibly be able to help me with vs a licensed inspector currently in my area? I guess I don’t see much of a difference between the two except the experience and extent of their certification…

1 Like

Thanks Dave, I think Gainesville is just a bit far out for my likes as Id like to stay local as possible.

You’re welcome Mathew and the bolded above is the answer your question…The best to your future!

1 Like

Thanks again, I thought about this as I was walking the dog that I actually answered my own question in that regard. I intend to resource out the mentors available in my area to begin. :+1:

2 Likes