Tandem TPR valves?

Originally Posted By: bnelson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/P1004209.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: jsavino

Yes, totally unnecessary. Could offer a false sense of security and should be removed.

John Savino

HomeWorks Inspection Services, LLC

St. James, NY

Originally Posted By: cbuell

Brandon,

I have seen this before and there may be nothing wrong with it. Say you want the tprv drain to go outside but if installed right on the tank it would trap water. In that case the plumber will install a slightly lower psi relief valve at the high point while maintaining the correctly possitioned relief valve drain that goes to the floor.

It is easier to change direction than it is to forget where one has been.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

jsavino wrote:
Yes, totally unnecessary. Could offer a false sense of security and should be removed.

John,

Yes ... unnecessary. Hazardous? Not really. The only time this would be hazardous would be if someone thought that second T&P on the hot water line was OK, and then they removed the main T&P. For that reason - I would recommend it be removed, and explain why, not that it is wrong, but, well, just like I already explained it.

cbuell wrote:
Brandon,
I have seen this before and there may be nothing wrong with it. Say you want the tprv drain to go outside but if installed right on the tank it would trap water. In that case the plumber will install a slightly lower psi relief valve at the high point while maintaining the correctly positioned relief valve drain that goes to the floor.

Charles,

The second T&P may be unnecessary, but you tried to explain why it is okay to do it wrong, and it is not okay to do it wrong. The second one should never be installed or taken into consideration for anything to do with the "correctly installed one". Unnecessary? Yes. Is it better to remove it? Yes, see my explanation above to John.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry

I never installed a second relief valve on a water heater or boiler. The same goes for the flex pipe water connections. All piping must be “L” hard temper copper and high pressure fittings around these parts.

No hazard. Just not needed.

--
John Savino
St. James, NY

Originally Posted By: jpeck

John,

"No hazard"

Agreed, except under this condition, which I am sure any of us could see happening.

"The only time this would be hazardous would be if someone thought that second T&P on the hot water line was OK, and then they removed the main T&P"

Thus, for safety's sake, I'd recommend they remove it, and explain that it IS NOT a hazard by itself, but that its presence could lead to the real T&P being removed, AND THAT would be the hazard of leaving it.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry

Agreed icon_wink.gif

John Savino

St. James, NY