Tankless water heater concern

Good stuff. Thanks a bunch!

Jason Michaud
Cardinal Home Inspections

www.cardinal-homeinspections.com

910-308-3457

https://www.facebook.com/Cardinal-Home-Inspections-357024865089563/

Hello Edwin

Looks like old Roy here is upset about something? Maybe he should contribute something positive and explain to us all why this set up is dangerous or wrong?

1 Like

With 27 minutes of read time since 2003, you probably shouldn’t be commenting on something you know nothing about.

2 Likes

Stephen

S o you felt like jumping on me and say “With 27 minutes of read time since 2003, you probably shouldn’t be commenting on something you know nothing about.” ? This is exactly why I very rarely come to these forums because there are always a few guys that are cocky and high minded!!! For one thing pal you do not know me so back off!!! I have been doing inspections for 20 years and pride myself for being very independent! I do not kiss that back side of Realtors like many of you do!! This is not to say there are not good Realtors out that but we must all be working for our client 100% to avoid any potential of conflict. This was a little off subject but it ties into the attitude I see on these forums.

3 Likes

Jason

I am sorry you are going through this ordeal. Yeah the unit does not look right and I have never seen one like this. I dont understand why the other guys on here wont tell you what is wrong? It does look like a do it yourself job for sure! It also appears that the front cover and possibly the controls for this unit is facing the wall???

I hope you can get out of this. You are not a code inspector but it is not correct.

Hang in there

2 Likes

“Verify that recent upgrades have been permitted by the local building authority and have been signed off as complete.”

This information paragraph is in every report that I write. I also use the California approved InterNACHI Inspection agreement.

1 Like

@Larry: The installation is incorrect because #1 it is an outdoor unit mounted inside a garage. #2 The vent is an obvious DIY situation utilizing materials that are not meant to be used in this manner. I should have recommended that the buyer seeks further guidance from a plumber and suggested that the buyer gets installation information (who did what) from the seller.
There was no evidence of a fuel leak nor was there any built up or accumulated CO in the space. I did have the wherewithal to test those things. The installation voids the warranty because it is most definitely not according to manufacturers recommendation. So, for all that I am completely wrong for not calling it out. I have made things right with the client and we are paying for the removal and installation of a new system. I completely stand behind my work and am not brand new and should have known better. I was 100% wrong for not calling it out. I assumed (based on the location of the home and how our code inspectors here are) that if it passed their standard, then we were good in a less than typical installation method. It never occurred to me that it had never been permitted. In nearly every other place we work it would make sense to see this kind of DIY but my guard was down due to location. Excuses excuses…I still dropped the ball.
@Edward: I will be using this line in the future…this makes good sense.

2 Likes

Yeah Jason I was trying to go easy on you and feel sorry that you had to go through this. In my opinion and outdoor unit could work inside as well as outside!! The main problem it was not mounted right which possibly put the front cover and controls next to the wall which is bad. The flue vent is ugly and just is not right. However would it still work? I think so but we could split hairs over this all day long. I was just trying to help and was hoping you had some wiggle room legally, but probably not mainly because of the front cover and controls being blocked.

The whole thing looks ugly

I still do not understand why the other guys on here did not help much and give their input as to what is wrong? I for one always like to know why not just it is wrong! We learn more from the whys I think?

I installed a tankless water heater myself and I love it!!! But I never seen one like this one.

Good Luck

1 Like

Thanks Larry! I do appreciate your help and kindness. Have a great afternoon!

Jason Michaud
Cardinal Home Inspections

www.cardinal-homeinspections.com

910-308-3457

https://www.facebook.com/Cardinal-Home-Inspections-357024865089563/

That’s not “splitting hairs”, the unit can kill people if installed that way.
The installation instructions are available online for anyone to read, FWIW.

Ah there it is another man with the biggest DK!! Give me a break! Uh Dominic do you know it wont work or will kill people? Do you know this for a fact? I already agreed it was wrong!! Did you miss that part? I was being hypothetical it could work and may be working right now but it is not correct! What part of that do you not understand? You jump in here and say it can kill people? Well maybe but unlikely!! If the flue is venting how will it kill people? I would like you to explain scientifically how it can kill people? I think that is a little extreme!!! Kind of like people calling Trump a racists or he will cause global warming ha ha ha

Because any gas appliance that is poorly & improperly vented can subject the occupants to dangerous combustion byproducts, including CO, which is deadly.

So, when you stated “it could work”, how does that help anyone identify a significant safety issue? (Especially one that is so clearly visible).

Try a little restraint, if you want a civil discussion.

1 Like

You are truly the jerk off here.

Fullmoon strikes yet again, works like a charm every time :slight_smile:

1 Like

yep says the jerks!! Some of you bring the worst out in me!! dish it out I dish back!! I really am a pretty easy going guy but when I run into cocky know it all that hacks me off!!

1 Like

You type like a flippin’ child.
And most likely a liar as well.

I was trying to be reasonable! If the vent is going through the roof and venting to the outside then how would CO get into the home?? I by no means am saying this unit is ok but just want someone to explain how does the CO get back into the home for argument sake ha ha. Sorry I guess I am taking this too far. But that is how we learn do we not. I am the kind of guy that like to know the hows and whys. Just saying it will kill you does not teach us anything.

Naw it is global warming that is affecting our brains just ask Al Gore ha ha

ah now Roy wants to attack me?? I type like a child? WTF? Then you say I am a Liar?? WOW? Tell me how does a child type and how am I a Liar?? I would bet money you are a left wing nut that voted for the evil witch Hillary!!!

Its installed in the garage, according to the OP.
And the vent is FUBAR, which can lead to unpredictable performance in the venting system.