Termites

Originally Posted By: jane molina
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What do you look for doing a inspection on a slab on grade home when it comes to termites? how do you know termites from rot? anybody have pictures or sites

Jane

Originally Posted By: evandeven

Quote:
What do you look for doing a inspection on a slab on grade home when it comes to termites? how do you know termites from rot? anybody have pictures or sites
Jane

Jane,
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't know the difference between wood rot or wood decaying fungi as it called on the Florida WDO form, and termites, you shouldn't be looking for them. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Now to help you out, it doesn't matter what type of structure you are inspecting, the termites are the same. Drywood termites leave small octagonal pellets behind. It is the fecal matter after eating the wood. There are also smooth galleries present in the wood. They can be found any any type of wood. Fascia and exterior trim are the most common areas. Baseboards and attic rafters are next.

Subterranean termites usually leave visible "mud tubes" on the wood or sometimes on walls or in some cases, between the wood in a crawlspace and the ground. The damage is usually quite significant and the wood is eaten in layers. After the Subs are done, you have a "leafy" type pattern and the wood is covered with mud. Most common places for Sub activity are the bathroom door jambs, wall between the garage and the home, anywhere there is a break in the slab.

In Florida, you have to be licensed by the state or carry an ID card with a pest control company in order to perform a WDO inspection and document the findings.

As a former WDO inspector, I know what the damage looks like. As a home inspector, I write on the report that there is damage present that may have been caused by a wood destroying organism (see WDO inspection report for further details).

You can do a search for Subterranean and Drywood termites and that will get you started. Good luck!
Try this: http://www.termidorhome.com/TermiteTruth.asp

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.
I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!
www.magnuminspections.com

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Jane,

I've had Realtors tell me quite a few stories of inspectors claiming that Termite activity was found and an exterminater was hired but the damage turned out to be wood rot.

Do yourself a favor before offering WDI inspections. Learn the differences by education and hands on.

To give you a head start I posted the following pics to show the differences in damage.

ROTTED WOOD

TERMITE DAMAGE

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: jane molina

Thanks David , Thats what I was looking for …

Jane