Testing for lead based paint

Originally Posted By: cmccann
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What is everyone doing about lead paint testing, do you do them? Lenders often require this. icon_confused.gif

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Chuck,

Lead based paint doesn't seem to be the issue that it was 6 or 7 years ago. I had about 10 calls for it in 7 years in VA, and haven't had a call for it yet in FL. In the past, I just subbed out the work to an "expert". The XRF gun is pretty expensive, as is the training, as is the liability and insurance.

When I was looking for a sub in this field, I made sure that the person could explain remediation to the client too, not just tell them they had lead paint in their house.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

This is what we tell them when they call and are buying an older home, and ask about lead based paint.

"That house has lead based paint.", pause, "Now, can we charge you for telling you that house has lead based paint?"

Then we continue with all the other things, like: the glaze on the tile usually has more lead in it that the lead based paint, and you should be more concerned about abraded surfaces like floors than non-abraded surfaces like walls; finished wood work has lead in the finishes (still talking about older homes here); and what about the lead solder used in the plumbing pipes?; and what about ... then we tell them that if they are worried about lead in building material, don't buy an older home, and don't visit friends who have older homes.

They get the idea. Do not worry too much about lead based paint.

Then, just to cover ourselves, we tell them that if they are concerned about lead poisoning, get everyone in the family tested for lead levels before moving in, then at regular intervals afterward, until they either see a problem developing, or feel comfortable with not feeling a need to test anymore.

Testing after you've been in a house for 5 years does no good, what was you lead level BEFORE you moved in? Don't know. Then you have nothing to compare it to.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Thanks for the input guys. In the state of Michigan you have to be licensed through the state to inspect or risk asses homes for lead based paint. The training is 5 days long and cost $500.00. Being that my territory is the suburbs of Detroit I see a lot of older homes and newer homes. I have on many occasions been asked to check for lead based paint. So instead of pretending to sound like I know what I’m talking about, I’m going to get the training and then recoup the cost.

Sorry Blaine about the Sooners. ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif)

--
NACHI MAB!