Texas Exam (PSI) does anybody pass

Originally Posted By: jeffery spencer
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

The PSI Testing is very indepth, but trying to find a studyguide or prep testing is impossible.

Originally Posted By: rwashington

Yep. the test is tough. Trying to weed out the uncommitted. With the increase in hours to what? 488? passing the test ought to be easier. Are you taking classes on campus or online? On campus there are prep classes in the Dallas area that should be as good as the ones down in Houston.

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Jeff,

The exam was overhauled in 2002. Before that the passing rate was about 70% on the first try, now it is about 30% on the first try (these are not exact %s so don't qoute me).

I found the code check series the mst helpful in studying as well as Real Estate Home Inspection by Burgess. there are questions pulled right out of it.

You are allowed to take the exam 3 times in a 6 month period. If you feel like you are at a dead end with studying, try taking the test. If you don't pass it will help you gauge what to epect the second time.

Originally Posted By: away

Jeffrey,

I took the ITA (Leonard-Hawes) exam prep class. It was a tremendous help.

You will still need to know the information; the prep class just helps solidify the information and helps put some pieces together.

Originally Posted By: rdawes

My son and I both took ITA training last year. He took in class and I did correspondence with the last week in class. We both did the week of field inspection class too. And we both took the 2 day ITA exam prep which helped a lot.

The best study aid was to make flash cards, LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of them. We went thru the code check book and made flash cards, we went thru the exam prep book and made flash cards. Any question that we missed on the sample quizzes, we made a flash card for. Then we ran thru those over and over until we knew them all down cold. We both passed the test on the first try. It can be done but you have to treat it as a job until you pass.

ITA has a test prep class in Carrollton on Dec. 9-10 for $199. They probably still have slots open.

The stats I read on the TREC web site for the 12 months ending in August showed first time taker pass rates of 37.36% and interestingly the overall pass rate was slightly lower at 34.04%. Hang in there and you'll get 'er done. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: pdacey

rdawes wrote:
It can be done but you have to treat it as a job until you pass.

Couldn't have said it better.