Textured composite siding?

Has anyone ever seen this before. 1970s house. The paint and texture look newer, though. I’ve never seen this before. I tried to flake off a piece and it was so hard I could not do that without a tool.

IMG_0920

IMG_0920

IMG_0918

If it’s hard and clunky sounding it’s likely fiber cement of some type. It’s hard to tell in the last pic if there is a line of grease dropping from the vent or if a bunch of butt joints are lined up (which would be wrong). If I’m not sure of the material I’ll find an inconspicuous place to plow my screwdriver in and see what falls out. My hunch is that it’s fiber cement but am not totally sure.

1 Like

The siding itself is composite. It is like someone used a texture hopper and textured the exterior of the home, but the texture is not soft like drywall mud.

It looks like it could be Hardboard siding?

2 Likes

The siding is not what is confusing me. The siding is home depot’s Smart-Side Textured Lap Siding (Common: 12 in. x 12 ft) What is confusing is freshly painted and textured.

Like a truck bed liner?

1 Like

Flexrock or hardrock coating?

3 Likes

Looks like standard texturing for cement-fiber siding. Although the planks come in standardized colors, re-painting is perfectly acceptable. However, yours look like the original (natural gray) factory color IMO.

Your title to this thread let us astray.

Maybe SmartSide Textured Lap Siding:

1 Like

Maybe the paint had a ceramic additive. Not sure if the paint texture is affected much by this product though…

1 Like

There’s Rhino Shield, too.

1 Like

Well maybe they used a cementitious coating, like stucco.

1 Like

Maybe someone used a textured paint intended for decks and floors or some sort of epoxy paint?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Seal-Krete-Epoxy-Seal-1-Part-Slate-Gray-Satin-Garage-Floor-Epoxy-Actual-Net-Contents-1-Gallon/1000201271?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-pnt-_-ggl-_-LIA_PNT_117_Paint-and-Primers-_-1000201271-_-local-_-0-_-0&gclid=Cj0KCQjw06-oBhC6ARIsAGuzdw1ibOXk6_z_TUc8_rx7MpnOFcJPtFqacqh3LT1maK9c7Cmz2aOw6GkaAp53EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This thread regarding textured composite siding is a valuable resource for homeowners. Understanding the pros and cons of this material, like its durability and lower maintenance requirements compared to traditional wood siding, is helpful for those considering different options.

One potential drawback mentioned in the thread is the possibility of mold or mildew growth on textured composite siding, especially in shaded or humid areas.

Do you have any recommendations for cleaning methods or preventative maintenance strategies that homeowners can use to minimize the risk of mold or mildew growth on textured composite siding?

Sharing specific tips for maintaining textured composite siding could be a valuable addition to this discussion thread and help homeowners extend the lifespan of their exteriors.

It could be sanded paint.

Paint and clean periodically as needed.

Products like “Wet and Forget”