Thanks Nachi TV

I use a MARR -1130 with almost everything I am inspecting that carries voltage.
If it sounds ( warning ) and lights up, I step back wait and retest. If it sounds again , I note and place it in my report to have an electrician check the that , box, can(panel) speedway, etc.
The back of your RIGHT hand is OK but with the low cost of electrical proximity testers these days you would be foolish not to carry a tester with you on the job.
John if your tester goes off at every can ( panel or dead front) maybe your tester needs to be dis-guarded and purchase a new one.

Glad ur ok Dave, Nachi Tv is awesome,
I also open the covers of the panels when I can get to them.

I use a Greenlee, GT-11 Voltage Detector it lights up and makes noise, on off switch, two rubber spots to hold onto.

I would recommend the ones from Santronic’s and more so the one labeled the “ultimate” as this is the one I researched and used when I had come that our company was selling. They will not beep unless they truly detect current and it may flash on static, it wont beep unless it is truly energized.

I open them all , never had a problem with FP . Thamks for the info Paul .:D:D:D

I understand that the Canadian FP panels are not manufactured the at the same place as the US ones. They are very common here and I am not aware of any more problems with them than with others.