Thanks Nachi TV

I had recently watched the wall of defects that Ben did with an electrician.

The electrician mentioned many times to wear gloves, googles.

Yesterday I was doing an ispection on a vacant home with just my client in attendance.

The main panel was a FPE. There were 2 screws missing at the dead front cover.

I put on my gloves. I took of the cover and noted a loose breaker, double tap. Nothing out of the ordinary.

The screws were blunt ended. I was placing the cover back on and when I was screwing in the panel it was arching big time.

If I had not had my gloves on I may have been injured, killed or shocked.

Maybe the blunt end screw pireced a wire as the cover was not on properly as the breaker(s) were not seated right on the bus.

More and more I expierince the issues with the FPE panels.

I will not take of the cover(FPE) on an occupied house anymore.

Just thought I would share. I keep my gloves in my pockets at all times now.

I need to do the same with my googles. Will you guys get on my *** to wear them. I want to grow old and live some more.

Take care out there.

Glad your OK.

Good job Dave.

Q: How many of you do open up FPE panels? I’m curious.

I do, on the rare occasion that I see or even have a feeling based on other observations that there is a dangerous situation, I document what I did or did not do and explain it to the customer.

Glad you are ok, I watched that episode as well, and I “tick” panel cover bolts all the time now, as well as handle the covers to protect from Flash

I do…carefully

I don’t care what brand of panel it is - I open all accessible panels.

I open them.

Ditto.

David, glad you’re Ok. Dangerous situation. I watched that episode as well and have made a point of wearing gloves, checking all boxes very carefully before opening AND closing up. Goggles are something I need to wear more often too; melted plastic or metal wouldn’t be fun to have flying all over.
You stated it was just you and your client present. I’ve had several realtors lately ask if I have a super key. I tell them no, that I prefer having someone there in the event of an emergency…I don’t need to be falling off a roof and laying there for 4 hours before someone wonders where I’m at! Thoughts?

glad your ok Dave

Inspection of the electrical service panel is perhaps one of the most important services we provide. That said, one must stay within their level of comfort and consider personal safety the top priority. Don’t be spooked by a FPE panel (they are very common in our area); your experience will drive your comfort level. Safety precautions are the key (assess it visually first, tick the cover, wear safety glasses, don’t be standing on a ladder etc.). Also, always take a before picture to show what you’re dealing with.

‘When in doubt don’t’…and remember, ‘do no harm’ to the house.

Realtor was out of town but I believe a represenative should of been there.

I make a business decision on removing covers.

With an FPE on an occupied house there is the potential for me to trip breakers due to the way the breakers over hang the opening.

I do not want to trip breakers that control computers, TV’s.

WE have FP panels in Canada .
I have no irea if they are different then the USA models .
They are still manufactured and about 50 %~ of new homes have them .
Yes I do take the cover of all electric panels if I can get to them.
Roy Cooke

Mr.Macy
I mentioned to you before that INACHI TV was a good learning tool.
That was Kenton Shepard and Master Electrician David Ruskay .
Not Ben or Nick.
I to have been-using INACHI TV and recommend it to anyone that wants to get more information and put more feathers in your cap in doing HI.
Now in Quebec you must be warring long sleeve shirts and trousers and safety glasses,to have your CSST insurance cover you.
If not, you might end up loosing your insurance benefits because you did not protect your self in acordance with CSST safety standar and requirements pratices.
Another thought for your Mr.Macy.

I open all accessible panels.

When you guys say “tick” do you mean tap the panel cover with the back of your hand?

My guess is that tick or tic means a proximity or non-contact tester.

I have one of those testers but if I put it anywhere near a service panel, it will definitely ring that there are live wires, so I’m not sure that it will be much help here.

Personally I dislike that Fluke tester but I’m surprised that it would go off if you were testing the outside of a grounded panel since non-contact testers generally don’t work on metallic conduit or metal clad cables.

check the electrical potential on the service panel (enclosure, door).

I stand corrected. You’re right.