The Best and Worst New home Builders

Originally Posted By: phughes
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi Y’ll,

How about a survey of the best and worst new home builders.

I propose we post this here for anyone thinking about buying to get the opinion of home inspectors.

Please say why you think a company is good or bad.

For example, Ashton Woods is very responsive to a customers needs.

Or XYZ company hates to have home inspectors come on their property, and does everything in their power to discourage the buyer for hiring an independent home inspector.

I'm very curious what other inspectors opinions are. Possibly different companies are better in some areas than others.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

It is not proper to post personal opinions (Positive or Negative) regarding Home Builders on this website.

Information regarding Home Builders can be obtained thru other venues on the Internet.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

What advise can NACHI provide to new home Buyers concerning getting their new home inspected.

I believe a person should have any home they buy inspected by an INDEPENDENT home inspector. Someone not affiliated with the sale of the home. Thereby not having any conflict of interest.

I know that some builders, no names mentioned, do discourage a buyer from having a new home inspected. They will site reasons like, the city has already inspected the house, the builder is experienced and this is un-necessary.

They use alternative methods to discourage an independent home inspection.

For example, an inspection must be performed x days before the walk through, and can only be performed between x-y hours. Then have people working in the home at the time, and say you need to reschedule, thus causing disruptions in the flow of the inspection.

So, what does NACHI recommend to a buyer of a new home?

Do they recommend they have it in their contract that they are entitled to an inspection before closing?

How can a buyer protect them selves?

Often, when buying a new home, a buyer must leave their current residence at a specified date, and this can interfere with the inspection process if the builder uses delaying tactics with respect to the buyer independent inspection.

I look for NACHI suggestions to help our industry help protect both the industry and the home buyer.

Originally Posted By: dharris

I don’t look for a national org. to sell the local buyers on the importance of this inspection. Market your services locally and the customers will come. The 1 org that comes to mind that shows the importance of new home inspections is HADD

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Buyers looking to protect themselves during the construction of their home should retain the services of an Attorney.

Home Inspectors should not be offering Opinions on Legal issues regarding a Client's Contract with a Builder.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

I guess that is what makes this the Good Old USA.

The right to have an opinion even if it is wrong. (or at least it was)

I'm not sure we are reading this the same.

We are not discussing legal issues.

Question, do we advise or encourage people to get home inspections ?

Do we advise or encourage people to only get an inspection on an OLD house?

I'm confused...

Originally Posted By: dharris

jhagarty wrote:
Buyers looking to protect themselves during the construction of their home should retain the services of an Attorney.

Home Inspectors should not be offering Opinions on Legal issues regarding a Client's Contract with a Builder.

Agreed
There is a local attorney that has taken a position here in az and provides info for local inspectors to pass to customers and builders providing customers rights/ NOTE this is az info only
His web site is eckleyandassociates.com He provides info at local azashi seminars and from the email I recieved [ to late as I already had a inspection scheduled] info was also provided at a local non ashi seminar yesterday

With this thank you, I will end my discussion.